TechSpot

Where can I find BITS 1.0, just on its own?

By abrantigan
Apr 18, 2010
  1. Hi,

I know it's a random question but my XP system has undergone a bit of beating from viruses recently and it's taken my ability to update on microsoft away...

Where could I find BITS, just literally the bare naked version? If not, is there a useful piece of software that could help put some of my windows files back...(my Paint and Character Map has also gone, randomly)?

Thanks

2. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 2,278

Might be a long shot, but maybe an OEM installation of Win2000.

Sounds like you've encountered a lot of system file damage from the infection(s), I would recommend a repair installation which should correct any corrupt or missing Windows files. This would not affect your personal files, but you will need an OEM installation CD-ROM.

3. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,374   +167

I would not try to replace the file by itself.

Doing either a repair install (as suggested) or try running SFC (System File Checker) tool which scans and replaces missing/corrupt system files. However, you will need your XP install CD for SFC tool to work as well

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.