Where can I find Com 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a post similar to this earlier, but the solution does not work for windows vista.
I try to load active sync to my hanheld and my computer needs to connect the device in COM3 port. I have tried all usb ports and did not work...can somebody tell me where is the com3 port, and if is there any key in the pc where it shows available ports?
Again, this is for vista, not XP.

Thanks!

Com 1 and Com 3 are the same... it is not a USB port, but rather a 9-pin plug on the back...
But most VISTA computers nowadays do not come with those ports. You will have to buy a communication port card from a computer hardware store... about $9 to $18 depending on where you get it...

There will be a connector to convert your handheld online or at eBay.

Com 1 and Com 3 are the same... it is not a USB port, but rather a 9-pin plug on the back...
@Raybay
Once upon a time Com1 and Com3 were only associated with serial ports. But Virtual Com Port (VCP) drivers have been around for years! (to often associate Com ports with USB and Bluetooth)

@kbomby
Don;t go running out to buy new hardware yet.

Also, as I don't use ActiveSync myself I can't answer your specific problem. But if you're running Vista you should be running WDMC (which replaced ActiveSync on Vista) and, as I understand it, offers connectivity via both USB and Bluetooth. See if this link helps

/* edit */
Also recommend you go check the latest downloads and info on Microsoft's website

Depends on the handheld... as to whether it will work... and I don't remember that has yet been disclosed.

Depends on the handheld... as to whether it will work... and I don't remember that has yet been disclosed.

LOL OK. You wanna talk about handhelds?
> Why did you already send the user to run out and buy a serial port without you ever even asking about the handheld???
> What's the probability these days of a hand held even providing a serial connector vs providing a USB or Bluetooth connection?

So why send someone running out to buy a serial adapter when they only asked about a Com port message????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back