Where can I touch a GPU?

Alpha Gamer

Every time I have to handle my gpu, I have a really hard time avoiding contact with the back part of it. And above all else, I never touch the golden connectors that are inserted into the mobo. I only touch the sides and the front (where the fan is). But it's not uncommon for me to watch videos of people handling gpus as if they were no more than bricks. In this video, Linus even allows the baby to touch the gpu.

So, I would like to know where it is ok to touch it, and where it's not.

It's OK to touch it everywhere. You just have to factor in that the risk gets a lot higher when you're touching critical parts like the connectors. Things like this could happen.

- Oil/chemicals from hands corrode and interfere with the part.
- Static electricity.
- You can physically scratch/bend stuff.

Do what you've been doing and you'll be fine.

Yeah, although it is generally safer to avoid touching the back part, it's OK to touch it gently if it makes it easier to handle. Just make sure your hands are clean of dirt and oil, and that you ground yourself before you touch it (this is true for any PC component.

Thanks to both of you. Sometimes I feel that not touching the pcb and having a less than adequate grip may be more dangerous than just touching it carefully.

As long as the card isn't on you can handle it freely, but like others have pointed out make sure your hands are clean. Also be careful because it may be HOT if you've just powered it down, especially the more powerful cards. You wouldn't think so but you CAN burn yourself if you grab the right (or should I say wrong) part.

It looks dangerous but nothing will happen to you, try it. Don't worry I tried many times.
I'll certainly try it.
As long as the card isn't on you can handle it freely, but like others have pointed out make sure your hands are clean. Also be careful because it may be HOT if you've just powered it down, especially the more powerful cards. You wouldn't think so but you CAN burn yourself if you grab the right (or should I say wrong) part.
Sure, thanks again for the extra advice.

Back