TechSpot

Where do I find a Windows XP CD?

By toshibaman2
Feb 3, 2010
  1. Do I have to buy the cd or can I download it to a cd using another pc?
    Thank you

2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,476   +233

You will have to buy one.

3. Ultiweap

Ultiweap TS Enthusiast Posts: 742

You will have to buy one as downloading it from the internet is piracy thus illegal.

4. toshibaman2

toshibaman2 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I will do that, Thank you

5. Ultiweap

Ultiweap TS Enthusiast Posts: 742

Nice then as Downloading will give you more problem after installing too.

6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,647   +323

You could download it, if you had your own legal license. But downloading becomes pretty risky in a number of ways for this type of thing..
    1. You run a heightened risk of some nasty stuff being bundled with it.
    2. This goes with #1, but its somewhat more difficult to actually find a virgin iso of XP, XP SP1, XP SP2, or XP SP3 anymore. People are creating all these modified editions with other stuff preinstalled, and that for sure violates any chance you had at the legal argument if you owned a license key.
    3. Your ISP or any other watchdog agency might see what you are downloading and suspect you are pirating it and then send you a warning, or in extreme (unlikely) cases actually prosecute you for it.

7. CMH

CMH TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,573   +9

You could write a letter to Bill Gates and ask him to send you a personalized copy..... Worst case scenario is he says no right?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.