Where does INTERNET EXPLORER store 'FAVORITES' on the local hard drive???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonni

Greeings fellow techies...I had to restore my laptop back to factory settings over an audio problem a few weeks ago. Luckily, I backup all data on my IOMEGA external Hard drive. So, I performed my restore and most of my data is all here. However, IE does not have my LONG favorites list! I need these links!

Where does INTERNET EXPLORER usually store 'FAVORITES' on the local hard drive???

I've been searching and I haven't found them. It's possible that they were never backed up, but I have been doing whole system backups (dynamic copy) for months. They should be on my external drive.

ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD HELP!

By default in XP, it's in %USERPROFILE%\Favorites

(copy and paste the above address as written)

Perfect answer. However, I asked the wrong question.

Where would I find this on my backup E: drive?...(so that I can restore to the local).

The address above unveils only the factory default as well as the most recent favorites on the local hard drive.

THANK YOU!

I'm afraid that that would be wherever you put them.

Sorry, but that's really all the answer there is. :(

You could always use the windows search feature to look for files with a filename containing ".html" or ".htm" which should identify them. perhaps even just try entering the term "favorites"

I have some suggestions Josh - even though I'm not a techie but have had to reinstall entire company systems after hd crashes or network worms, etc.

I too have experienced nothing but frustration with IE - so before I begin - I recommend converting to Mozilla Firefox which I find more user friendly.

Just today - I tried importing (like you from external drive) and even though my data was there I COULD NOT IMPORT.

For some reason Win XP (in my case) insisted on looking for "bookmarks" when the file was called "favorites" on my E drive.

After checking my E drive and confirming all data was there I opened it up , copied entire content - and inserted it (manually not using the import) into the C drive favorite folder.

HINT it was NOT in the Microsoft or shared application file. It was sitting there under "Application Data" and the icon was that of a golden star instead of a folder. I believe Win XP reassigned such file icons during the last operating system upgrade.

Try looking using different "VIEWS" (details, list, etc.) and that may help you spot it.

Of course as the other person stated - try searching on your E Drive. It is there but might be nearby instead of where you are looking.

I had same problem with Outlook 2003, could not import address book or folders.

Not even MS network technicians here at $75/hr could help me out.

For the the money Microsoft makes I hate their programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back