Where is the cheapest place to buy retail full xp pro?

By ingeborgdot
Jan 9, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Where is the cheapest place to buy retail full xp pro?
  2. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,896

Why pay well over 200.00 for a full retail XP pro when you can buy a full version OEM XP Pro for about 142.00?

you can find them at newegg.com
  3. ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 751

I understand that but what about things I have recently heard about if you upgrade your cpu or mobod. Microsoft will only let you activate it once. Is that true?
  4. dugawug

dugawug Newcomer, in training Posts: 89

i bought mine OEM off Ebay :)
    about as cheap as it gets

i heard you get 3 activations, but i reached that limit and they basically force you to call. but after calling, i explained my situation (a dual boot, a reinstall, then a stupid wirless card that required my system to be re-activated) and they let me activate again.

it's really annoying though thinking i most likely have to pay for XP again next time i want to re-install.
  5. fury

fury Newcomer, in training Posts: 38

If you are enrolled in or are an alumni of a big and/or tech school you may be able to buy a cheap copy from them. These usually come with an integrated key, no activation requirement, and/or an extra, 64-bit edition of Windows XP
  6. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,896

No it is not true I have been using a full OEM XP for three years and have activated it 4 times. including activating it on a Newly built machine when I replaced my previous PC.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.