Where should & can I upgrade?

deanlaing12

Hey folks!

What I use the PC for:
Producing Music & Playing demanding games.

My current specs:
Motherboard: M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 630 Processor 2.80GHz
GPU: Radeon HD 5770 - Single Monitor (1920*1080)
Ram: 8GB (4X - CMX4GX3M2A1600C9)
SSD for Boot & High Demanding Games
Windows 8 64Bit.

What I want:
To be able to play Battlefield 4 on the highest settings when it comes out.

To upgrade my CPU and GPU to the best I possibly can without changing anything else in my system.

Questions:
Can my Motherboard support Intel CPU's?
What is the best AMD Processor I can put into this machine?
What is the best GPU I can put into this machine?
What is the best GPU I can put into this machine without changing the CPU and without bottle-necking?
What is the best combination of CPU and GPU I can put in without bottle-necking? (changing PSU is not a problem)

What should I start saving up for?

What if I were on a budget?

Additional Information
Guys, I do not want to get a new motherboard.Why do you think I need a new one? It is perfect for almost anything. Unless you are referring to the chip-sets.
My ram is perfect and nothing wrong with it.
My SSD Required Sata 3 which I already have on my motherboard.

The point of this topic is to find out what options are available for me to save up on in order to play BF4 on max settings when it comes out. If you believe I need to change hardware that I do not wish to change, at least provide a reason...

If you really want to play BF4 on max settings you're going to need an entire overhaul of the GPU/CPU/mobo.

What resolution are you playing at and what is your budget?

I would say you would need a new CPU, Mobo, GPU, RAM, and possibly a higher wattage PSU (basically as slh28 said before). You will probably need ~$200 for a new CPU, ~$150 for a new motherboard, >$300 for a GPU, ~$50-150 for new RAM, and ~$120 for a new PSU if needed, $120 for a 120GB SSD or ~$240 for a 240GB SSD.

Depends extremely on your resolution. Tell us this.

Things of note:
- As above, $200 for CPU, $100 for mobo, $300 for GPU, $100 for PSU is about the minimum, either way.
- You say you have SSD. Which? New mobos have SATA3.
- Your RAID array will most likely be destroyed if it isn't RAID1.

1. No
2. Phenom II X6 1100T
3. nVidia Titan
4. Probably the one you have.
5. Phenom II X6 1100T, GTX 660
6. Save about $1500 for a new complete system.
7. Save about $1000 for an AMD system or budget i5 Intel system.
8. It's not the actual board or chipset, the limiting factor is the CPU socket (AM3). A board with AM3+ socket and FX990 chipset would support the latest CPUs. Better yet, an Intel socket 1155 or socket 2011 board.
Here's a website with a CPU comparison chart so you can judge the relative performance of your current CPU against your upgrade options. Your CPU is near the bottom of the page. http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

1. No
2. Phenom II X6 1100T
3. nVidia Titan
4. Probably the one you have.
5. Phenom II X6 1100T, GTX 660
6. Save about $1500 for a new complete system.
7. Save about $1000 for an AMD system or budget i5 Intel system.
8. It's not the actual board or chipset, the limiting factor is the CPU socket (AM3). A board with AM3+ socket and FX990 chipset would support the latest CPUs. Better yet, an Intel socket 1155 or socket 2011 board.
Here's a website with a CPU comparison chart so you can judge the relative performance of your current CPU against your upgrade options. Your CPU is near the bottom of the page. http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
why would you get a Titan and a X6?

Currently I am using a: Saphire HD Radeon 5770.

A Saphire HD Radeon 5970 is worth $100 ~ £70
If I were on a budget, this card is better than the titan right? (Though the features the titan has... dam I want it so bad)

I have an awesome motherboard that supports Sata 3, which I need for my SSD since it is one of the faster, however... will it support the: AMD FX 8150? (Cheap?)

Currently I am using a: Saphire HD Radeon 5770.

A Saphire HD Radeon 5970 is worth $100 ~ £70
If I were on a budget, this card is better than the titan right? (Though the features the titan has... dam I want it so bad)

I have an awesome motherboard that supports Sata 3, which I need for my SSD since it is one of the faster, however... will it support the: AMD FX 8150? (Cheap?)

The 8150 is quite old now. The 5970 is not more powerful than the Titan, it cant even come close. The Titan is the most powerful single GPU.

The most sensible thing to do is tell us your budget (you probably have one otherwise you wouldn't be using your current machine) then we'll take it from there.

The most sensible thing to do is tell us your budget (you probably have one otherwise you wouldn't be using your current machine) then we'll take it from there.

It is an awkward one, I do not have money sitting in the bank right now, I would be basing my food supplies etc... around the machine.

£100 for a new case
£100~£150 Gpu (hence the lower series, higher model - That said, I have not got a clue how to judge an nVidia card on the same level)
£50 PSU
£150 Monitor (Current is a 24" full hd 1080p "Television". It will not support HDMI despite having a hdmi as it is designed for consoles and other machines, not pc's. It does have a VGA but to my understanding, there is a higher chance the new gpu may have Digital DVI and not Analogue DVI or VGA, rendering the T.V. useless. (Got a friends gpu sitting here that I can't use for that very reason)
£200 cpu - (Can someone tell me which is the best cpu I can put in my motherboard? I really like the one I have.) With this in mind, if the new GPU supports Analogue DVI, then the money for a monitor goes towards a better gpu.

I'm sure someone here can help you with parts based on this budget. A few comments:

- It would be better to halve your case budget and transfer to GPU budget.
- Monitor: you can purchase DVI to VGA adaptops, by the way. They're pretty cheap. Also, explain more regarding the HDMI on your TV..? I don't see why you couldn't use this.

Back