Where's my bottleneck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First post here. I'm looking at purchasing the ATI 9800. I have no problem spending ~$400 on this card, but only if it's going to vastly improve game performance. If anyone would be kind enough to look at my system specs and tell me their opinion if the video card should be the next step or if something else (memory?) needs to be the upgrade priority.

Thanks,
NeonGod

Intel P4 1.3GHz

get a cpu upgrade.

Sure, the 9800 will deliver great, high quality fps, but your cpu will be holding back this card in a BIG way. You probably won't even be able to run max details in games b/c the cpu can't handle the load. Basically, you'll still be gaming with a few details (in game), but w/ great AA and AF.

400?

geez from what your processor specs are , i doubt you could upgrade for cheap......in other word an amd 2500= with the asus nforce 2 board and a decent geforce 4 or the radeon on ebay for cheap......and the nforce boards have geforce mx capabilities as a throw in........there's your bang for the buck

It couldnt hurt to x2 that RAM, but still a CPU upgrade will have the biggest impact ;) Go grab a 2500 for $130, and a new nForce2 board for $100...Then a nice Ti4200...Trust me, you'll be thanking your arse :blush:

Looking at all the comments together with your system specs, you're essentially looking at buying a complete new system (memory/cpu/mainboard/graphics), unless you don't mind reusing your case/psu/keyboard/mouse/hard drive, which would be pointless unless you had another use for the components you'll be upgrading.

Perhaps cut your losses with a temporary upgrade to cheaper Radeon 9500 Pro (or even 9700) and overclock that cpu that you have. You should get a sizable speed boost without spending a fortune.

Isn't Dell PS incompatible with anything other than Dell MB? Otherwise, I think I agree with Nic on this.

Dell uses proprietary power supplies and mobo's the plug for the power supply and mobo are reversed from standard ones. so they have to be upgraded together.

it is a major pain in the butt and has no valid rationale other than dell trying to force you to buy upgrades or replacement parts from them.

Dell PSUs are indeed proprietary.

Most of their cases DO fit standard boards though, however, their case switches are often proprietary as well. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back