9 vote(s)
    90.0%
  3. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
By descoladan
May 19, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Just a curiosity question, when building a computer from scratch, what do ya'll choose to do first:
    Pick a CPU and then a compatible motherboard?
    Pick a motherboard and then a compatible CPU?
    Or something different?

2. LukeDJ

LukeDJ TS Addict Posts: 414   +112

I tend to base my component choices around the CPU. A motherboard will provide effectively no performance increase for your system, and serves as a sort of connector for all your other components.

Definitely choose your CPU first, as it is a much more important decision.

That being said, it is still important to get a good quality motherboard.

PC nerd, JC713 and cliffordcooley like this.
  3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,253   +1,550

I agree with LukeDJ

The motherboard is probably the most important component in the system. The motherboard must support all the features you want in a system at the time of purchase. An OEM Windows license is even bound to the motherboard during activation. However you must pick a motherboard based on all the components you want to use. And the CPU should be the first component you pick for a system.

williammack likes this.
  4. hood6558

hood6558 TS Booster Posts: 292   +44

It's agreed then, CPU first, because, for instance, if the CPU is unlocked, you'll want a higher-end board that supports stable overclocking, but if it has a locked multiplier, a much cheaper board/chipset can be used (and a smaller power supply, cheaper case with fewer fans, etc).

williammack and JC713 like this.
  5. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,062   +919

Well said guys. I never base my decisions on a motherboard since the chipset model relies on the CPU provided.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.