9 vote(s)
    90.0%
  3. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
By descoladan
May 19, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Just a curiosity question, when building a computer from scratch, what do ya'll choose to do first:
    Pick a CPU and then a compatible motherboard?
    Pick a motherboard and then a compatible CPU?
    Or something different?

2. LukeDJ

LukeDJ TS Maniac Posts: 350   +112

I tend to base my component choices around the CPU. A motherboard will provide effectively no performance increase for your system, and serves as a sort of connector for all your other components.

Definitely choose your CPU first, as it is a much more important decision.

That being said, it is still important to get a good quality motherboard.

PC nerd, Jad Chaar and cliffordcooley like this.
  3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,556   +2,900

I agree with LukeDJ

The motherboard is probably the most important component in the system. The motherboard must support all the features you want in a system at the time of purchase. An OEM Windows license is even bound to the motherboard during activation. However you must pick a motherboard based on all the components you want to use. And the CPU should be the first component you pick for a system.

williammack likes this.
  4. hood6558

hood6558 TS Addict Posts: 240   +58

It's agreed then, CPU first, because, for instance, if the CPU is unlocked, you'll want a higher-end board that supports stable overclocking, but if it has a locked multiplier, a much cheaper board/chipset can be used (and a smaller power supply, cheaper case with fewer fans, etc).

williammack and Jad Chaar like this.
  5. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Well said guys. I never base my decisions on a motherboard since the chipset model relies on the CPU provided.