TechSpot

Which driver is causing my BSOD?

By dibblejon
Feb 11, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hi

I have a Server 2008 R2 box that has been crashing since 23/01 - I have tried tracking what driver is causing this issue but I can't tell. If anyone could help me it would be really great. I have attached the files from bluescreenreview from the most recent crashes.

If you need any more information please just ask.

Many thanks

Attached Files:

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,841   +165

VID.sys (Virtualization Infrastructure Driver) Virtualization Stack Memory Manager...

TCPIP.sys is also flagged and this is a network driver, but the memory driver may be the cause... Test your memory using Memtest86 for at least 7 passes. This also may be a motherboard issue. Test the C drive for errors. BSOD's tend to corrupt hard drive data
  3. dibblejon

dibblejon TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks

Hi

Thanks for your advice. I have updated the network adapter drivers today. And will run a memtest if still unstable.

One other thought I had was, is it possible that a VM with not enough RAM could cause this?

Will let you know how I get on :approve:
  4. Tmagic650

I don't think a lack of memory would cause this... As a side note, BSOD's are very tricky at times because the actual causes are very obscure. Hopefully the network driver update will solve this. Keep us posted:)
  5. dibblejon

dibblejon TS Rookie Topic Starter

Minidumps attached

Hi

Updated the NIC drivers but still crashing:(

Ran MEMTESTx86 and got no errors (57 passes)

Have attached the last 4 minidumps. I notice that one common cause seems to be the CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (101) message.

I then found this article on MS @ support.microsoft.com/kb/955076

Should I apply this patch? Or am I barking up the wrong tree? Any further help would really help, thanks.

Attached Files:

6. Tmagic650

Yes apply the patch...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.