Which external HDD should I get?

By donthaveacow
Jul 20, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hey everyone, I'm a bit lost as to which external HDD's are good and which ones I should avoid as there are so many out there now...

I would like 1TB of storage space and it needs to be USB 2.0, and of course the faster the HDD the better!
    Also, I really do not want one of those ones that also need to be plugged into a power point, it needs to be completely powered off the usb port.

Could someone suggest some good quality models that fit this description?

Thanks in advance!
  2. Coodu

Coodu TS Booster Posts: 173

I personally go with brands of internal HDD I like. My favourite being Hitachi, and then Western Digital. Can't really go wrong with either of them in my opinion. I guess it always depends on how you treat it too, I've seen some nasty conditioned drives in service :p

See below for some further links which you can check out and check your local supplier for:

Have fun!
  3. donthaveacow

donthaveacow TS Rookie Topic Starter

4. Coodu

Looks good to me mate, I see you're an Aussie also :). We stock them at work and I quite like them for client backups, etc.

Nope, no reason not to go for USB 3.0 - as you mentioned they are indeed starting to become standard.
  5. donthaveacow

donthaveacow TS Rookie Topic Starter

6. Coodu

Hahaha! No worries mate :)))