Which GeForce 8 series card should I get? And a Cheap, Reliable PSU to Go with It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

izx2

Hi, I will soon be getting a new video card in my PC, and I need some help deciding which specific card to get.

PC Specifications:
HP Desktop PC (a1730n)
15' Sony LCD Monitor (1024x768)
2GB RAM
Nvidia 6150LE (Integrated P.O.S.)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ (2.4GHz Each Core ~ 5.8GHz?)
300W Generic PSU

As you see up there, I don't use a 30' inch LCD TV as a monitor. I'm not going to change my monitor anytime soon. 2GB of RAM and my processor are actually good. The only thing wrong about my computer is the 6150LE.

I need a card that can run games like F.E.A.R., BF2, etc. with max settings on a 1024x768 resolution. It has to be in the GeForce 8 series. I definitely don't want the 8800 Ultra. It's not necessary. Won't run SLi because I only have one PCIe x16 slot and a waste of money. I have a crappy power supply (300W). I can get a new one on Newegg.com. Please tell me a recommended PSU to go along with your recommended card. I heard about the XFX 8600GT (here which runs on the mobo itself so that looked great! But can it run games well? Do the GTX or the XXX versions beat the crap out of the card I looked at? Newegg is awesome...

Needs:
1. Plays most games on max settings (AA/AF, Detail, etc.)
2. GeForce 8 series

If you're going for quality, and you aren't willing to splurge on the 8800 Series, then don't push for Max settings. Hardly any of us can max on FEAR. Maybe 3% of us. You are running 1024x768 on a screen the size of a Cap'n Crunch box, instead of a higher resolution on a loverly 52" plasma, so you might just be able to, but don't worry if you aren't.

Not to mention you're running an HP (Hardly Passable) setup. Frankly I don't see why you would upgrade on that, but if you really want to, you can.

The 8600 Series, all of them, have only one advantage over the cheaper 7900s: the ability to run DX10. And if that's why you're raving about the 8-Series, don't bother. The quality of the DX10 they run just isn't worth the money right now. It's like varnishing a bamboo stool, really.

For my money, as little of it as there is, this is the setup you want:
nVidia 7900GT
Apevia 520W (ATX Form Factor

What is you psu's 12v amp rating? Do you know what will even fit? An 8800 card? Let's be realistic here, one step at a time.
HP system with 300w psu-look here:
http://www.power-on.com/hp.html
Your system isn't listed. The one's that look close have 300w replacements.
Best bet, find out what your current psu is rated at and find a card to match. This is the problem with propriety systems. The cards I would recommend are either the 7600GT or 8600GT(if you have to have DX10). The 7600GT would be the better value. Either card can run on a quality 300w psu.
Your next problem, is this a slimline or compact desktop system? If it is your choices become extremely limited since only low-profile or half-height cards will fit in them.

BTW: you 4600 cpu is 2.4ghz total. 2.4 + 2.4 =4.8 where did 5.8 come from?

He must have thought (2 cores)x (2.4 GHz). Sometimes it lists it like that under dxdiag and CPU-Z, and System Information.

I think you should be patient, and wait until the new series of Nvidia cards come out, and when they do you should buy the 8800GTX along with a whole new custom computer. DO NOT customize your HP desktop. It will turn out to be a frequent problem, with constant, neverending updates. BUILD A CUSTOM COMPUTER if you want the settings in your games to be at peak performance and quality, it will be best for the longrun. :)

What's wrong with Apevia? If it has anything to do with :hotbounce:, then I can tell you, mine runs fine. Three fans. Cool as ever.

They smell bad when they fry your whole rig. I could google, ok I will...
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTMzOSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==
The efficiency has plummeted to between 65.37% and 66.60% while exhaust temperatures have jumped to between 67c-68c. At this point the unit has also begun to melt and smell horrible.

Aspire now renamed Apevia (probably because of the bad reputation) has made this list,
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=974240
because of many problems reported by enthusiasts.

They may look nice and have good specs but they use cheap parts and they don't meet ATX standards or output to their ratings.

I suggest an EVGA (limited lifetime warranty) 8800 GTS SC (superclocked). It has 320 bits and 320 mbs of memory. Very solid performer. It requires 26 amps on the 12 volt rail of a PSU. I suggest an Ultra X-finity 600 watt. This has more than enough power and amperage. I run this combination and it never stutters on any game! The 8600 series I do not recommend. Only 128 bits. It's bandwidth is around 22 GB/sec. The 8800 GTS SC has a bandwidth of 68 GB/sec. Core is 576mhz with 1700 mhz memory. It's direct 9 and 10.

Ok? Many of you fail to answer this question correctly but I still thank you for your help. I said I was going to buy a new video card, not custom build another PC, ditching the a1730n (PC) I bought recently.

Thank you, kpo6969. Your answer was good.

YES I HAVE VISTA!!!

some of you smart alecs say i screwed up with the 5.8Ghz error... I DONT CARE.

If you cant help, then dont reply.

And baronjocelin: you say that i shouldnt push for max settings but you then say "you might just be able to". Confused man.

pdyckman@comcas said:
I suggest an EVGA (limited lifetime warranty) 8800 GTS SC (superclocked). It has 320 bits and 320 mbs of memory. Very solid performer. It requires 26 amps on the 12 volt rail of a PSU. I suggest an Ultra X-finity 600 watt. This has more than enough power and amperage. I run this combination and it never stutters on any game! The 8600 series I do not recommend. Only 128 bits. It's bandwidth is around 22 GB/sec. The 8800 GTS SC has a bandwidth of 68 GB/sec. Core is 576mhz with 1700 mhz memory. It's direct 9 and 10.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148008 this PSU and the video card in the quote above wold work good in u're system.

thebaronjocelin said:
You are running 1024x768 on a screen the size of a Cap'n Crunch box, instead of a higher resolution on a loverly 52" plasma, so you might just be able to, but don't worry if you aren't.

Better now? If you ran on anything higher than 1024x768, it would crash on you, or become unplayable. 8800s can handle it, others cannot. Since you are playing on 1024x768, maximum settings are feasible, and an 8800 will handle it with complete ease.

izx2 said:
Ok? Many of you fail to answer this question correctly but I still thank you for your help. I said I was going to buy a new video card, not custom build another PC, ditching the a1730n (PC) I bought recently.

We suggested that in the future, it would be a good idea to build a new computer. Then again, you could end up fifty years in the future with small animals making their home in your "a1730n", and a PSU that could toast bread, and be perfectly content with it. It's up to you.

izx2 said:
some of you smart alecs say i screwed up with the 5.8Ghz error... I DONT CARE.

If you cant help, then dont reply.

Firstly, my comment, and anybody else's that I've read on your 5.8GHz mistake were never mean-spirited. I have made the same mistake, and tried to vouch for you. Overestimating your core clock speed and buying a game based on faulty estimates is a fifty-dollar waste.

However, judging by your complete disregard for everyone's advice I'm guessing you can handle it.

izx2 said:
And baronjocelin: you say that i shouldnt push for max settings but you then say "you might just be able to". Confused man.

Read thoroughly, and read formatting, before judging my comments. And never carry your ego with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back