TechSpot

Which is quickest?

By vale46
Dec 2, 2009
  1. Hi,

I use a program called Poser and 3DsMAX, both programs use only one core when rendering so i just wondered which was the fastest chip between these two.

Q6600 Core2 Quad 2.4GHz (all 4 are 2.4GHz)

Pentium 4 HT Dual Core 3.0GHz (Both are 3GHz)

Also, can i run windows XP Pro 64Bit on any pc or does it have to have a special chip set ?

Thanks for any info,

Kindest regards

Vale.

2. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,209   +424

You can sent the scanline rendering option in MAX to use 4 cores, in which case the Q6600 would demolish the P4. Actually, it may still beat out the P4 even without selecting that option. Hyprethreading isn't nearly as big a bump in performance as having an additional core.

3. vale46

vale46 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 160

Mmmmm 80% of my work is with Poser though, so Cpu speed is vital, i just wondered if the Q chip was quicker or slower due to its newerness. I was unsure if just because the P4 is 3.0GHz it was faster per single core ?

4. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 1,835

Yea the more cores the better for rendering 3D... especially when using mental ray. My guess is the Q6600 is going to be faster than the P4 anyway like LNC said, especially because we use P4 dual cores at school and my CPU at home is a quad, which happens to be the Q6600. I could literally render my stuff out in almost half the time compared to the time it took on the systems there.

5. vale46

LOL missed my point, Poser only uses 1 core so its just one cores initial speed that i need to know which chip set would better suite Poser.

I appreciate Max can multi core but i dont render in max, well not animation rendering just yet, i only model with it.

I just wanted to check that 3GHz is quicker the 2.4GHz or if it doesnt quite work like that depending on the make or age of the chip ?

6. gguerra

gguerra TS Maniac Posts: 317

Clock speed is not the only indicator of overall performance. If the Q6600 had only one core and was running at the 2.4Ghz speed I would venture to say it would still be faster at most tasks than the P4 at 3Ghz. This is due to it's architecture (and other related factors)

7. vale46

Thanks gguerra thats pretty much what i needed to hear ;p

It has certainly cleared up an issue.

Only other query i have is can 32bit programs still run on a 64bit OS ?

Cheers ;)

8. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 1,835

yes

9. vale46

Fab ;)

Thanks peeps for all your help.

Kindest regards,

Vale.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.