Which Linux would be most compatible with my machine?

secretassasin69

My secondary machine is pretty basic and i just want to install a version of linux that would be the most compatible but still decent looking. I tried ubuntu 11.04 but it glitched quite a lot because i do not have a graphics card and the motherboard's on-board graphics were used.

Please can you post suggestions of other versions.

Thank you

I tried Ubuntu 11.04 but it glitched quite a lot!

I would personally recommend that you search out and find yourself a copy of Ubuntu version 10.10, why? Because I to have several systems that are old and very basic, one used to use a Intel onboard video graphics adapter and it worked just fine. Also 10.10 supports onboard sound adapters as well.

For me, 10.10 is the way to go!

Thank you i will try and install ubuntu 10.10 btw just looking at ubuntu website should i consider 10.04 long term support version

I wouldn't use Ubuntu on older hardware at all, its too demanding on it.

A much better distro would be one using Openbox, XFCE, or other lower footprint DE's.

Xubuntu would be a considerably better choice. It runs XFCE as its DE, uses considerably less RAM, but still gives you access to the huge repositories of the 'Buntu family of Linux distro's.

It'll also run much faster as well.

Thanks for your help i appreciate it but i have already installed 10.04 Ubuntu and it works well :)

I knew that Ubuntu would work well on your system. For I to have "old" hardware and such and it worked just fine for me. Never used 10.04, but if 10.10 was built off that, than it's alright by me. Good luck with it and if you have any more questions, you know where you can come! :)

What are the specs of your secondary machine?

I've got a P4 2.4 and a Celeron 2.4 (Celeron name has an odd history I think, but its about the same age as the P4). The Celeron system isn't really mine so I doubt I'll do anything to it (its currently XPSP1 and resides offline. I did get Arch installed on the P4, but don't know enough about what I'm doing to get a non-root gui installed.

Back