Which monitor? Please help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I've destroyed my Iiyama Vision Master Pro 17, I need a new screen. I have around £300 to spend, I watch dvds and play
a-lot of games. I dont know if any fast motion LCDs are within that price range, dont know much about LCD monitors either.

I've looked into the Iiyama Vision Master Pro 454, which is all my money and CRT, but I know its a clear picture. Desktop space is not a problem, and I don't think it will be moved very often.

Give me some good recommendations please!

Cheers.

Hitachi makes excellent monitors and are reasonably priced but I dont know what the availibility of them are where you are at.

Hitachi makes excellent monitors, definitely. But I like NEC/Mitsubishi even more. Then there's Sony...

There's really only about 4 different manufacturers of CRTs, most of the monitors circulating today are just marketed by a different company. Dell uses Sony tubes, I know that. I don't know what tubes Iiyama uses, but I've heard alot of praise for them and their monitors.

Get a ViewSonic or Sony. Personally Im in love with my 19" flat Viewsonic, but cant wait for my dads 24" flat Sony. :D

For a start what screen size are you after for your £300?
19" I guess?

Tomshardware does a nice round up of 12 19" CRT models. I doubt you will get a decent TFT/LCD that will be any good for gaming at the £300 mark.

Personally I have the Samsung 957DF and am quite happy with its performance given that it cost £250 for a 19". Sure it uses Samsung DynaFlat screen rather than a true flat screen but it still looks a hundred times better than my old non-branded 17" curvy monitor.

From tomshardware:

But three of them stand out. The Iiayama Vision Master Pro 454 turned out to be a really pleasant surprise, with outstanding image quality and stability. We are accustomed to this manufacturer providing an attractive quality/ price ratio, but sometimes to the detriment of quality. With the Vision Master Pro 454, they have combined a cost advantage with an intelligent adaptation of the Diamontron High Brightness tube. Right along side it is the ViewSonic P95f, at the same price and with the same outstanding image quality and stability. The third member of this group is the highly efficient Eizo T675, which has very few failings and stands out by the ergonomics of its settings, even though its high price is a bit sinful.

Then there are the other monitors in the test. All are satisfactory and distinguished by their own special features. The Sony A420, for instance, could easily take the place of a television in a living room. The performance of the FP955 speaks for itself, it's just a shame it is somewhat costlier than the others. And Samsung's SyncMaster 957DF is the champion money-saver at the lowest price in the test. Its quality is perfectly adequate and it could be a good choice for those who don't want to put too much strain on their wallet.

Ok, I've destroyed my Iiyama Vision Master Pro 17

How ?

Is it repairable ? It might be worthwhile just to get it repaired, depending on the cost, since it is a fairly decent monitor anyway .

Well, I was playing a LAN game and the tube flickered twice, thinking nothing of it I continued. 2 mins later it did it again but went off completely, and would not turn back on. I left it off for around an hour after that, and although it would turn on, the CRT wouldn't power up. I was looking at various 19" screens before this happend, because I've had that monitor for around 6 years.

It doesn't sound like a cheap repair to me, i'll try anyway... I'm currently using this horrid horrid horrid 17" LG 775N screen, christ its so blurry I can barely type ;)

Thanks for everyones suggestions, unfortuneately, I can't get hold of hitachi monitors anywhere and viewsonic monitors are scarce to say the least. After reading tomshardware guide, I may just go with that Iiyama 454, he seems to thinks its good. This all depends on how cheaply the old one can be fixed for.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back