Which motherboard to take?

Hello,

I'm building a new pc and needed some help with the motherboard.
I'm waiting for the Bulldozer FX cores. And I'd be buying the FX-8150.

These are the motherboards I've got in mind now.

- Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
- Asus Crosshair V Formula
- Asus Sabertooth 990FX

I've got no idea which of these is the best one. Or do you guys have a completely different one in mind? If you do, please tell me.

Thanks in advance,
Jordy E.

PS: If you need to know all the parts of the pc. please tell me.

Let us know the spec of the PC you plan to build please. Only then can we tell you if the above are wise purchases, or not.

Your PSU choice is nowhere near enough power. You need to be looking at least 1000W (ideally 1200W for OC headroom) if your running CF HD6990's.

And if your spending that sort of money I'd personally go ahead and just get a Intel i7 2600K setup, which will be superior in all likelihood.

Intel i7 2600K setup? What do you mean with this?

Does that mean a totally new motherboard and CPU, or..?

Intel's new Sandybridge range.

Your spending thousands, there is in my opinion absolutely no need to consider AM3+ when you can have the new Sandybridge i7 2600K CPU. Here is a review we did.

It means changing to Intel's LGA1155 "Sandybridge" range of motherboards and CPU's, but they'll likely be superior to at least the first offerings from AMD.

Well, I don't quite understand how they're better then the AMD things I have in mind now.

I believe the AMD had more Ghz and also it was an 8-core and the intel one is a Quadcore. So I don't quite understand? Sorry for me being a complete noob at this.

The current i7 2600K CPU is capable of 4.7GHz speeds. It might only be a quad, but its more powerful than the previous generation Intel LGA1366 i7 990X which is a 6 core CPU.

There are many factors that determine the performance of a CPU. The clock speed, number of processing cores, and the size of the available cache all play there part, as do many other factors not mentioned.

This review gives a detailed insight into the performance of the Intel i7 990X vs. the new Sandbridge i7 2600K. The older LGA1366 i7 990X is a 6 core CPU, where as the new i7 2600K is a quad core.

Thanks,

That 4.7 Ghz you mentioned, I'm guessing that's like, overclocking? Since I've never overclocked anything. Is it hard to do?

Also, if I were to take the i7 2600K, is there any chance you could link me to the best motherboard in your eyes? And also, would the rest of my pc still be compatible with those new parts?

I think the Gigabyte series is the best for money and is good for over-clocking, so 990FXA-UD5 or UD7 would be my choice, so far my 890FXA-UD5 has been rock-solid.

I'll let others tell you which is best, but Gigabyte and MSI are two brands I recommend myself.

I'm going for the Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3-iSSD myself, coupled with a i5 2500K.

The i7 2600K is a quad core but supports hyperthreading so can support 4 virtual cores giving you a total of 8 cores. Haven't looked too much at Bulldozer benchmarks vs Sandy Bridge yet as I made my choice to get 2600K at the start of the year. Gaming wise I think either AMD or Intel offering will have more than enough horsepower to drive 2 crossfired cards. Going to wait to see AMDs stuff in the wild before making any further judgement. Go with what you like best. If you like AMD you won't gimp yourself by going with them instead of intel (in my opinion as far as gaming is concerned).

Thanks all,

I'm just searching for a good motherboard for both the FX-8150, and for the i7 2600K. Since I'm still hesitating. Will probably wait for the release of the Bulldozer ones, to see some good benchmarks.

Also, as for the Intel part, The Gigabyte G1 Sniper 2 motherboard caught my eye. Anyone got some experience with it, since it looks pretty good, yet, the looks of it might make me think it's good. So anyone used this?

I didn't use the Gigabyte G1 Sniper 2 motherboard but I heard it is excellent for gaming. My friend has one and he loves it

Oh wonderful, someone who knows someone with the board. I have a question about it.. I saw something about PCI-e 16x and 8x. Since I'm buying 2 HD6990, will the performance be alot worse due that that 8x instead of 16x? (Not sure what they are in the first place)

Thanks in advance.

There should be little difference in frames per second between 8X and 16X for your video cards, But I haven't really been keeping up with this stuff so I'm not sure anymore. I've assumed that you wanna spread gaming video across three screens (7680 X 1460). I think you'll need monitors with mini Display Ports or you'll need to find an AMD Eyefinity dongle. Again I haven't been keeping up with the new stuff so I'm not sure.

8X and 16X are the speed (bandwidth) at which the computer sends video information to the video cards. The last I read none of the modern video cards actually used all the bandwidth available to them, so running a card at 8X was more than fast enough with 16X adding very few frames per second.

Back