Which of these HDD's is best for my gaming build?

By donthaveacow
Jan 25, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hey everyone, I'm unsure which of the three HDD's below to go for. This is what my build will be:

MOBO: Asus P8P67
    CPU: Inter Core i7 2600
    GPU: Asus Radeon HD 6950
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600MHz
    HDD: ??
    PSU: Corsair HX-750W
    CASE: Cooler Master HAF-922
    DVD: ASUS DRW 24B1LT

And here are the three HDD's:
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 SATA 3Gb/s 1TB Hard Drive (NZ$88.41)
    Western Digital AV-GP 1TB SATA 3 Gb/s 7200RPM 64MB Cache (NZ$103.17)
    Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache, 7200 RPM (NZ$130.92)

I'm quite keen on saving a bit of cash as I am spending more than I originally planned, but will there be a noticeable performance difference by going for the WD Black?

Thanks in advance!

Ah sorry, I meant Corsair HX-650 for the PSU
  2. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +97

The best to get would be a 1TB Samsung SpinPoint F3, if you can get one in NZ?
  3. donthaveacow

donthaveacow Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 24

Ok thanks for that. Yes its in N.Z. for $90.44. Will there be a noticeable performance difference in that it has a 32MB Cache as opposed to 64?

Theres a HDD sale going on at 'ALPHACITY' here, so I'd like to get in on these discounted prices.
  4. Leeky

That would be the best by far then. The SpinPoint F3 is highly regarded as pretty much the fastest mechanical hard disk right now. Only hybrids and SSDs are faster, and they're considerably more money.
  5. donthaveacow

donthaveacow Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 24

Great :) Thank you so much!
  6. Leeky

No probs, it should help with your budget as well, being only slightly more than the cheapest one you listed above.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.