TechSpot

Which one is better?

1. I currently have 2 anti-virus softwares avaliable to me:

Symmetic Endpoint Protection

vs

Windows Live Essentials

Which one is better for me? My computer is for my personal use at home not in the office. And I am running on Windows 7.

TY!!

2. pjamme

pjamme TS Enthusiast Posts: 285

Go with MSE.
    Symantec has proven to be bloatware and difficult to remove once installed.
    IMHO

3. bazz2004

bazz2004 TS Maniac Posts: 466   +55

There's plenty of free alternatives plus stuff you pay for. I think you could do better than Norton. Try them yourself and see what you like. Plenty of highly rated AV programs haven't run well on my computer. Just make sure what you use is updated everyday and don't forget a firewall. Avira is another popular free one besides Microsoft's Security Essentials.

4. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,581   +103

Used Avast for a while, it's quite full featured for a free solution although I've switched to the MS free tool now since its one less separate update check to be made. So far it's caught one nasty, never really had any virus before that anything had detected. I blame my less than technically savvy gf for that one :)

5. fida1989

fida1989 TS Rookie Posts: 20

Use Avast Free Version. I am using it for years. It recently released version 6. It's just excellent. At least you should take a look.

6. EDO219

EDO219 TS Rookie Posts: 298

MSE 2.0 or the free version of Avast are a good choice. In contrast to Norton and McAfee, they generally use less system resources and are at least as effective, if not more for certain attacks. Also they are free, unlike Norton and McAfee.

I find that browser security is just as important as a good antivirus and firewall. For those who go to new, unfamiliar websites quite frequently, I recommend using Firefox with the NoScript and AdBlock Plus extensions.

Viruses and such malware can really slow down a machine. However, a bloated antivirus software suite can be equally annoying. haha!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.