Which one to choose?

winterwolf1223

I'm looking at a Galaxy Geforce 9500 GT vs EVGA Geforce 9500 GT both with 1GB memory, but I have no idea which one to pick. Will these cards run on Windows 7?

Galaxy Geforce 9500 GT $44.99

EVGA Geforce 9500 GT $54.99

I heard that EVGA has a lot of problems with overheating, fan issues, and memory issues...is that true?

My budget is around $60-$70 if you have a better suggestion for a good gaming graphic card please post =D Right now I am running on Nvidia Geforce 8500 GT with 256mb.

this is also a nice and better option and if you prefer name brand go with EVGA,
EVGA 01G-P3-1312-LR GeForce 210 - $54.99

a GT 240 would be nice to, better then the GT 210 and a Gen older then the GT 430

my computer is still Intel Pentium D 3.2GHz. Will these graphic cards be wasted on such an old CPU? I heard that even though a graphic card may be fast, but if the CPU isnt fast enough to process, it is limited.

another problem I just found was that the graphic cards I'm currently using is about 4 inches and the ones with HDMI is over 5 inches....I'm not sure it will fit into the back part of the computer...

my computer is still Intel Pentium D 3.2GHz. Will these graphic cards be wasted on such an old CPU? I heard that even though a graphic card may be fast, but if the CPU isnt fast enough to process, it is limited.

thats is correct, the gpu is limited by the cpu's performance as well as the ram, chipset busspeed, etc
however, if for the same price you could get a better product why want you not want extra power and performance even if you "might not" be able to take advantage of it.

and "might not" is the key word because it is almost impossible to tell if the cpu will be limited in your system until you actually install it and benchmark it.

btw, all the cards i listed are low profile capable. the will fit in any standard atx case.

thats is correct, the gpu is limited by the cpu's performance as well as the ram, chipset busspeed, etc
however, if for the same price you could get a better product why want you not want extra power and performance even if you "might not" be able to take advantage of it.

and "might not" is the key word because it is almost impossible to tell if the cpu will be limited in your system until you actually install it and benchmark it.

btw, all the cards i listed are low profile capable. the will fit in any standard atx case.

What do you think about EVGA 01G-P3-1226-LR GeForce GT 220 1GB for $50?

the GT 220 is a nice mix between the GT 210 and the GT 240.
compared with the 9500 GT the GT 220 would come out on top and use less power.
that would be a good choice as well.

purely from a shader standpoint:
GT 210 - 16
9500 GT - 32
GT 220 - 48
GT 240 - 96
GT 430 - 96

Thanks!!

Alrite I think I know what I want!

Thx Codisha and everyone for all the pointers and advice!!
Im so glad I found this forum, you guys help a lot!!!

Got new card

Well I finally got a EVGA 430 GT. However, after installing it, my CPU's fan is running very loud during game play. And i have no way to check the CPU's temp because all the temp monitors do not support my CPU...any ideas? Could it be the new graphic card that is causing my fan to run faster?

Well I finally got a EVGA 430 GT. However, after installing it, my CPU's fan is running very loud during game play. And i have no way to check the CPU's temp because all the temp monitors do not support my CPU...any ideas? Could it be the new graphic card that is causing my fan to run faster?

Grab Real Temp or Core Temp. Those will report the CPU temperature for you. Also the graphics cards fan(s) (assuming your card isn't passively cooled with just a heatsink) will adjust speed depending on the required cooling, so it might be that that is making the noise rather than the CPU. To verify what is making the noise you could run something that stresses just the CPU like "Prime95". Just make sure you run it with Real Temp or other monitor running and don't leave it to heat up the CPU too much, can't remember what thermal protection the old Pentium D's had.

the gpu should not make your cpu work harder, it should make it work less.
you can also check your idle temps in bios

with evgaprecision you can also monitor and adjust the gpu. not sure if it works for the GT430 but it's worth a try.

the gpu should not make your cpu work harder, it should make it work less.
you can also check your idle temps in bios

If the gpu is bottlenecked by the CPU(which it probably will be in this case), i.e. the CPU cannot run at a speed to keep up with the demands of the gpu, it will most likely max out the CPU to 100% usage. So really the addition of a newer higher performance gpu can result in heavier load on the CPU rather than reducing it.

If the gpu is bottlenecked by the CPU(which it probably will be in this case), i.e. the CPU cannot run at a speed to keep up with the demands of the gpu, it will most likely max out the CPU to 100% usage. So really the addition of a newer higher performance gpu can result in heavier load on the CPU rather than reducing it.

Well im pretty sure its the cpu becuase when i turn gpu fan speed to 97 another loud noise sounds and that would be the noise of gpu fan. Anyways i underclocked the graphic card to half and that resolved theroblem for now.

Back