Which operating system to use for programming?

Neil010

Hello Everybody,

I am currently learning C++ programming. This is my first programming language that I am learning. I however, have a question or rather a doubt.

I am learing the language through books and some websites on the internet on Windows. But I have heard from many people, and read on many forums, that one should learn to program in Linux. Is that true? If so, what difference does it really make?

I don't really understand what exactly is Linux, and Ubuntu and so on. I have tried searching on the internet, but I am really in a dilemma, and thus decided to continue on Windows.

Thanks for the help,
Neil010

P.S. - I couldn't really find any similar posts, or it is perhaps because I am new and don't know how to find my way about, so I just decided to make a new post.

Linux is a operating system just like Windows and MAC.

Ubuntu is a version of it like XP and Vista.

hope this helps this was the simplest way of explaining it that i could think of at 5 in the morning lol

You're on an interesting journey.

Languages typically give the programmer an API for access to all real resources.
Unless you are doing some major work, the platform (ie the OS) usually doesn't matter too much.
As an example the Java AWT 'abstracts' the interface to graphics
java.awt
Class Graphics

java.lang.Object
extended byjava.awt.Graphics

Direct Known Subclasses:
DebugGraphics, Graphics2D

see the Class description

Likewise, the API for file access is abstracted

Specifically, C++ File I/O is very similary (different, but still abstracted)

It may be that your question implies, can I write code in language XXX that will run on ANY platform?
*MAYBE*. Java is designed to do just that, but in the real world, there's usually a tweek or two required as the product moves from one platform to another.
In this regard, many applications can be 'portable' when implemented in Perl or PHP,
which are not compiled languages, but intrepeted on the fly or with a just-in-time compliation (ie when executed).

To 'learn programming' per se, don't get confused between the Language and the Platform(OS); stay focused on the chosen language until you are ready to master multiple Operating Systems.

Back