Which OS does better for 6GB RAM? XP or Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chase24

i've heard that vista maximizes the usage of ram by distributing it evenly. so if you have lots of ram is it better to use vista 64 bit sp1 than xp?

i bought a new computer and it uses vista 64 bit sp1 but now i had it reprogram to xp it's in the shop now i still have the time to cancel if i change my mind not to downgrade to xp.

i use my pc for gaming, for my career which is multimedia arts, i do editing, photoshop, 3d modeling,animation..

is it worth downgrading back to xp since there are lots of issues and bugs in vista and xp is faster in games?

is it wise to go xp for me for better results? i've read that 64 bit sp1 goes better with 64bit processors does it mean that it goes better with my phenom since it's pre bundled? should i stick to the original pre bundled os?

here's my specs

processor: amd phenom X4
ram: 6gb ddr2
hd: 750 gb
vgu: 9800gt

Xp cannot use over 2 Gig on any single process
Xp can register 3.2Gig max, even with any amount above 3.5Gig installed
Xp can only use DirectX9 (far inferior to DirectX10)

Vista can be optimized
64Bit is going to be the standard for all computers one day (soon)

Actually there are just too many advantages, and disadvantages to go through

Vista 64Bit is way better for gaming than Xp will ever be

Kimsland: Can you describe your experiences with vista 64bit for gaming? I'm interested in hearing your opinion. It would seem to me most games are written for 32bit.

Kimsland: Can you describe your experiences with vista 64bit for gaming? I'm interested in hearing your opinion. It would seem to me most games are written for 32bit.

tedster why is that? im playing fallout 3 in 64 bit and high settings it lags a bit with my specs. does it means my specs is not good enough for that game? or it's because of the os?

Games are written with 32-bit OSes in mind because they are more prevalent. Newer games come with 64-bit support so as to use the extra RAM recognized by the OS.

As for 64-bit Vista, it has far better drivers and support than XP x64, and is also more stable.

And XP-64 ceased being developed some years ago. There will be security patches for a while though. You would already be lucky to find any drivers for XP-64 for new kit.

In response to no xp64 drivers, this may not help much, but Windows Server 2003 and XP64 use the same drivers. So in the rare chance you find Server 2003 drivers you could use those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back