Which processor and mobo for gaming comp?

Marty7n

i have 3 processors!i am a bit stuck on which processor would be my best bet to build a good gaming computer with,they might be old but i reckon i could use one of them as i need to watch my pennys!il start with the newest to the oldest.i have no mobo's and need some advice on a good mobo and some good hardware,as i have 2 40gb hard drives and an old phillips cd/dvd burner!should i buy local in ireland or does it matter?does anyone know of some really good websites that sell comp parts.

1. intel Pentium 4 531 SL8HZ MALAY 3.00GHZ/1M/800/04A
2.Intel Pentium 4 2.80 GHZ/1M/800/04A SL7PR MALAY
3.Intel Pentium 4 2001,2.66ghz/512/533,sl6pe china

I think its between 1 and 2 and i think 1 would be the strongest and fastest but i need some advice!thanks alot!

Its likely the first one, as has the highest clock speed. However, none of them are really going to be very useful for gaming on all the very oldest of games.

Some more information is required on the sorts of games you wish to play before even spending some money, as what your hoping for might not be possible for the budget you have in mind.

Buying in Ireland, or online is fine.

World of Warcraft:Cataclysm mainly,call of duty,Fallout 3,Star Wars!
A freind of mine gave me an ASUS P5GD1.915P chipset for free,what if i bought a really good graphics card for that mobo???would it let me play them games!

All of those processors would struggle with Cataclysm. I would not spend any money trying to revive those very old procs... I'd save up and get something more recent. Even a budget DIY kit from the Egg will get you some decent results when compared to anything you could do with those procs.

Also, is a freind similar to a frenemy?

any idea what basic processor and mobo would run cataclysm smoothly and efficiently?id need a fairly resonable price as pennys are tight with a baby on the way! :eek:

A cheapo rig like this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.644148 - plus a decent video card would give you some good Cata play. Decent video card does not mean under $100, you're going to have to spend more than that if you're serious about smooth gameplay. WoW requires more horsepower now than it did back when it first released - and so it should. Just make sure you have a PSU that can support this mobo and a case to plop it in and you should be set. I assume you already have an acceptable monitor as you've been playing the games you mentioned.

Also, take it from me - you'll want to buy all the toys you can now, before the baby is born. Once he/she gets here you can kiss all of that goodbye. I went nuts the last few months before my first child was born.

The link doesnt work man!i think i need to go dual core or quad core,i only have a superthreading processor which is a bit of a dinosaur at this stage i guess!

iv gone crazy already man,womens hormones dont go well with computers.
i have a 42" sony bravia,i have a really good case,iv killed 3 mobo's so far trying to enter bios,i think i will stay away from it from now on lol!i have only old mechanical drives i need to get a sata drive,i have 3 sticks of dr333 512mb ram!
i just need a good spec processor and mobo,not to new doh because of money reasons lol with the baby!hard been a dad!lol

:)thanks mike! there is one local!been there a few times,just bargain hunting at the moment!

Back