TechSpot

Which processor is best for this board?

By garym
Apr 17, 2007
  1. I'm trying to do a little research here. It was recommended to replace my emachine T2825 motherboard with this: PC CHIPS M848A SOCKET A 462 SiS 746FX ATX AMD. My current CPU is AMD ATHLON XP 2800+. I believe I can upgrade to the AMD XP 3200+. Is this correct? Also I see this CPU listed in various sites as AMD ATHLON 64 3200+. Are these two the same? Would I see much of the difference going from the 2800+ to the 3200+?

Thanks

2. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,909

They are not the same at all. Athlon XP and Athlon 64 are two totally different architectures. Athlon XP uses Socket A (Socket 462), while Athlon 64 uses Sockets 754, 939, 940 (very rarely), and AM2.

3. beef_jerky4104

beef_jerky4104 Banned Posts: 1,094

The two CPUs are very different indeed. XPs are 32 bit while 64s are 64 bit.

4. garym

garym TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 31

Thanks for the replies. any and all help is greatly appreciated. One more question, is there a difference in performance between the AMD XP 2800+ and the AMD XP 3200+ to be worth the purchase?

5. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,650

the difference would be great, if that board will handle I would go for the 3400+ or more, as things are getting this would be a good surfing and business computer.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.