By laptox
Jun 26, 2010
  1. I have to replace a SATA hard disk on a computer - I have noticed some say sata II - and these tend to be cheaper - how do I know if they are compatible - with the HDD - or MOBO in the system ?
  2. Edwin Phate

Edwin Phate TS Rookie Posts: 140

I believe it has to be compatible with the motherboard but most hdd are compatible with most motherboards what kind of motherboard do you have?
  3. Edwin Phate

Edwin Phate TS Rookie Posts: 140

if you got a older computer it might not work with the newer sata 6.0s sorry for double post
  4. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,456   +1,759

If the hard drive you're replacing is already SATA, then any SATA 2 will work. You probably wouldn't be able to find a SATA 1 drive anyway. SATA 2 (300Gbs) drives are backwards compatible with the older SATA 1 spec, which is/was (150Gbs).

As to "SATA 600Gbs" spec, there are very few drives in the market with this buss speed rating, and it's pretty much a joke when mentioned in connection with a standard mechanical HDD. The only drives that could utilize this transfer speed are the solid state drives now coming to market.

Bottom line, any drive marked SATA 1 or SATA 2 will be just fine.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.