Which system process controls the keyboard input logging? (PS/2 codec)

Lokalaskurar

(Now, it is in fact hard to categorize this kind of question, but I think it is best suited under the Windows OS forum.)

Which system process controls the keyboard input logging?
(on a PS/2 keyboard - not the same as on the USB keyboards, I've heard)

Details & Background:
I got my hands on a copy of Fallout: New Vegas. Being a fan of the franchise, I installed it on my system. (see my 'System Specs.' for details on my hardware)

The game ran like a charm with one exception; audio! (and some animations).
When running on the ground/jumping/shooting etc. the music (note: not the in-game radio) played nicely -- but I heard absolutely squat as for SFX. But once I pressed Esc, all the logged audio that was supposed to play came at me at once! Like a full symphony orchestra... (ouch!)

(Also, some animations (like the 'sit."animation" ', 'eat."animation" ' etc.) are non-functional, sometimes even prohibiting the storyline to continue.)

I figured the problem must lie within the process management.

So I set the FalloutNV.exe process priority to 'Higher than Usual', and whaddaya know, it worked!! :D ... part from another problem...

Holding down W as in 'walk forward' now logs each W pressed down. Meaning that the character runs for 20 miles each time I press W for 5 seconds... after ~12 seconds, the keylog is filled to its brim, and the PC starts swearing (bleep bleep bleep).

Presumably because the FalloutNV.exe is prioritised higher than the input logging process.

Hence the question:
Which system process controls the keyboard input logging?

My goal:
I'd like to prioritise that process as well.

(final note: ) I'm close to completing the game using q-walk and CAPS lock. So I'm not prohibited from playing the game at all. Just that I'd like to know how to make it more enjoyable by at least trying to prioritise the keyboard input process.

Well, I do know there's a driver loaded for handling PS/2 control: i8042prt . I'm sure that also affects your PS/2 mouse. You can find it loaded in services under the registry at HKEY_Local_Machine / System / ControlSet001 / Services / i8042prt (or possibly CurrentControlSet instead of ControlSet001). There may be parameters which determine thread priority there, so check it out... not sure.

The finer details of this is not exactly something I'm familiar with. In my opinion though, this sounds like it isn't possible and is most likely a bad idea anyhow... so just a warning. ;-)

Yeah I don't think that's the best way to resolve it - have you tried doing all your Windows updates to start? I always do that and get any optional new drivers / updates and see if it fixes it. I don't have anything like that with new vegas here.

I have such a low tolerance for errors like that though I would just end up formatting the PC :( Lol

Yeah, I have done all my updates. I haven't patched NV though - sort of lacks a decent ISP over here.

As for i8042.prt - I'll check it out. And I definitely *won't* come back here screaming how anybody messed it up, if I error, then it's my fault only ;)

So don't worry.

And yeah, I pretty much think it's a bad idea somehow too :D

Well if you get sick of it that format disk is always handy I hope! :p
best of luck mate

Back