Which version of Linux is more like Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, Ubuntu is the most Windows-like, i.e. you needn't use command line, and it is a lot easier to use then others.

You have a couple options:

1) Kubuntu (KDE + Ubuntu) : KDE is a desktop environment (the gui) which runs on top of the main os (ubuntu). It wasn't quite as polished as standard ubuntu (using GNOME instead of KDE), but it feels like windows from the very start. Edit: It seems much better now. http://www.kde.org/announcements/4.3/

2) Ubuntu (with gnome): Doesn't quite feel as windows like as KDE right away, but can be made to feel exactly like windows with a bit of configuration (i.e., moving the taskbar/panel to the bottom, changing themes)

3) Linux Mint: It's pretty much ubuntu with a nice theme, and all of the media packages preinstalled, so you don't have to worry about installing them and getting them to work. http://www.linuxmint.com/

I sometimes get pissed off at windows so I'll install Ubuntu and play around on that for a while. It's really easy to use for beginners

1.are there any advantage or disadvantage if I install kubuntu or ubuntu?

2.what are the differences between kubuntu and ubuntu beside the KDE and the GNOME?

3. what one is better?? KDE vs. GNOME??

what are the differences between kubuntu and ubuntu beside the KDE and the GNOME?
Very little

what one is better?? KDE vs. GNOME??
The KDE vs Gnome desktop argument has been going on for quite some time. It's mostly a fanboi BS argument.

I think the Ubutu/Gnome version is the most widely used.

Contrary to what has been said earlier about, "KDE being more like Windows, I don't find that to be really true. The transition from Windows to Gnome is very easy, with just a little intuition required to interpolate the names of files and functions. Many things are still similar or the same, such as, "Ctrl C" is still copy, and so on.

Actually IMHO, the KDE desktop is more reminiscent of Mac.

I think the Ubutu/Gnome version is the most widely used.

Contrary to what has been said earlier about, "KDE being more like Windows, I don't find that to be really true. The transition from Windows to Gnome is very easy, with just a little intuition required to interpolate the names of files and functions. Many things are still similar or the same, such as, "Ctrl C" is still copy, and so on.

Actually IMHO, the KDE desktop is more reminiscent of Mac.

Sorry, what I meant was that KDE "looked" more like windows out of the box. (i.e. the taskbar on the bottom, the single "start menu" button, the plasmoids on the desktop similar to windows vista/7/OSX, etc) I actually find gnome easier to use than KDE. It seems to have better integration between programs. I could be mistaken though, since I haven't used KDE in about a year.

I feel you may have been mislead somewhat. There is no Linux that works like Windows. You may want to try one of the mainstream distros such as Ubuntu or OpenSUSE. Try the LiveCDs of both - you can boot those up and test run, without installing them.

KDE and gnome is down to personal preference. KDE is probably a bit more heavywieght but gnome is not exactly light these days either.

Debian is not really for beginners. Try Ubuntu (based on Debian) and if you like that you could think about moving to Debian when you are more experienced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back