TechSpot

Which WIN home XP to buy?

By jbausch
Dec 8, 2007
  1. I am really confused. I need to buy a WinXP home to install on a HDrive that has Win 98se on it. I am seeing Win XP home full retail edition, Win XP home OEM, Win XP home with Volume license key, WIN XP home upgrade.
    Which one do I buy? I may also want to use the software to install on another system that I am buidling for my son.

Confused in NJ!!

2. Daveskater

Daveskater Banned Posts: 2,031

You will want to buy the "Win XP home with Volume license key" version, to keep it short :)

If you want more info, let me know ;)

3. jbausch

jbausch TS Rookie Topic Starter

Should I buy a second OS copy to put on the second system that I am considering?

4. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,650

u will not need to if u buy the Volume license key version with that u can install windows on as many as u need it on but u will have to purchase the license for each computer. if u want a copy of windows for each computer then u could purchase the OEM version, but u would have to have two copies of the disk and if u decided to install on another computer u would have to buy another copy.

5. jbausch

jbausch TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you all for your help

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.