TechSpot

Which would be better?

By Acidwinter
Mar 16, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was wondering, which CPU would perform better for games...

Celeron D 2.93ghz socket 478

or

AMD Athalon64 3000+ (2.0ghz)

I know the ol' INTEL vs AMD thing, but my motherboard just fried, and I hate "replacing" parts...If I have to spend the money on a new Motherboard, I would want to make it better then my last, and I was thinking about this one http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1828849&CatId=1181. I play high end games like Fear and Battlefield 2 and I want to know how much better this would be for me? If its not going to be too much improvement, then I think Ill just shell out the $50 for a bargain bin mobo to go with my bargain bin CPU.

And I got a free version of Windows XP 64 pro through college, so I will have the right software because I hear it manages memory better or what not...please any input will help
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

A Celeron vs. a real CPU.. Gee.. Really can't imagine what would be better :p

Socket 754 is not that great, but if you are on a budget, it's OK
  3. Acidwinter

Acidwinter Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 59

Yes I know it is better, there has got to be a reason why its over $150 more, but how MUCH better? And I might even buy an AMD64 3200+ if it would make a significant difference.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.