Whining sound coming from speakers and headphones

Yomatsu Shimano

Okay, so here's the history...

The other night, I came home to a high pitch noise coming from my turtle beach headphones. Upon removing the headphones from my computer, I the sound started coming from my speakers. I then shut off my computer. I removed everything except the power cord. I could hear a different, yet similar whine. Upon opening my computer, I heard the noise coming from within. I then took out the video card, and started the beast back up. Same thing... After hours of browsing forums on my phone, I decided it was either my CPU or PSU. I then removed the PSU and jump started it to check whether or not it was making the noise. It ran fine and made no noise. However, upon connecting it to the motherboard and starting it, I then heard the noise again. When I listened closely to the CPU, I heard nothing, then I listened to the PSU which was outside of my case this time, and I could hear not only the high pitched whine, but also a slight... crackling noise...

It was then that I jumped on newegg and ordered a new PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817139011 . After 1 long, unbearable night and into the morning, the PSU was here, and I spent 3 hours carefully setting it up, and organizing the cords in and around my computer.

NOW THE GOOD STUFF...

Upon turning on my computer, everything seemed fine. I quickly jumped on youtube and started a video.. no sound coming from my headphones...
I then pulled out my headphones from the jack... No sound coming from my speakers.
It was then I realized I could hear the ever so dim whine coming from my speakers....
As far as I can tell, there is no noise coming from my new PSU.
I can hear the sound JUST fine when I plug in my samson go mic, and plug my headphones into THAT microphone (yeah I know it sounds weird but think of it as a little mini external sound card or something)

When I play youtube videos with my speakers plugged in, I have to crank the volume up on both the speakers and the computer and even then it's super quiet. When I play videos with my headphones plugged in (in the front of the computer) it makes no noise until the volume is around 90%+, but the sound is just a crackly distorted version of whatever I have playing.

I have never had an issue with my computer so far, so I'm honestly not too sure what's going on...
The sound seems to start when Windows starts loading. I have run a CPU stress test and the sound remains the same throughout. I have also tried switching which outlet I am using for my computer.

Here are my computer specs

Intel i7-2600k CPU @ 3.40GHz
32.0 GB DDR3 2133 RAM
64-bit Windows Ultimate
Fatal1ty Z68 Professional Gen3 (http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Fatal1ty Z68 Professional Gen3)
Updated BIOS
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480
256GB OCZ Vector SSD (with OS installed on it)
1TB WD Drive
3TB External WD Drive
COOLER MASTER HAF X (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225) - Not that it really matters...

Here's my 64-bit DxDiag... http://pastebin.com/sF0B5rrJ

So yeah... aside from knowing my motherboard is failing... what can you tell me to convince me otherwise? lol I refuse to believe that it could be my motherboard because well.. its been a good board thus far and I haven't seen anything like this when searching google... so I feel like it can't be so isolated
ohwell.gif
The only thing I can think of is... I just bought a Doctor Who levitating tardis which uses a magnet to make the TARDIS... well.. levitate! The magnet is inside the tardis itself, and isn't really powerful at all. The stand does something that keeps the magnet from reaching the top somehow. Nevertheless, this thing was on the top of my computer for a week before my computer started making these noises. I don't think it's related to the issue, as it wasn't exactly all that close to any of the parts, nor do I believe it to be any stronger than magnets you might find in a speaker that sits near your computer. If anything, it's a lot weaker than that. So I'm guessing its not that, but I figured I'd at least add that in...

Haha, I have tried muting the microphone. So I let my machine run all night. Now the sound actually plays at normal volume. I have unplugged my surround sound from the HD ports in the back and it seems to stop the whining in the headphones when I do that... I do however have quite a bit of static still... like white noise

Haha, I have tried muting the microphone. So I let my machine run all night. Now the sound actually plays at normal volume. I have unplugged my surround sound from the HD ports in the back and it seems to stop the whining in the headphones when I do that... I do however have quite a bit of static still... like white noise
Maybe buying a sound card may help? Make sure all the connections are tightly in. The way I get rid of my speaker static is to unplug them and plug them back in... it is tedious but temporarily works. I would get a sound card for like 40 bucks, people say it reduces white noise and whining while also producing much better sound quality.

Lemme keep on researching, maybe there are other solutions.

Yeah its on board. but the thing is, it worked fine before. So its not a matter of buying a soundcard. That I can do. It's a matter of, whether or not my motherboard is failing or not

Hey Yomatsu. You state :
"I came home to a high pitch noise coming from my turtle beach headphones"
Was the system playing any type of audio at the time or was the system just in standby?
If it was playing audio, was it from a disk file, optical disk,online?

" I have unplugged my surround sound from the HD ports in the back and it seems to stop the whining in the headphones when I do that."
Have you tried connecting another set of pc speakers ( maybe borrow a friend's for a quick test) and see if the whine is still there?. Just wondering if the speakers aren't causing a problem. I would try a plug in audio card and try it with both your and another set of speakers.

Just trying to gather as much info to narrow it down.

It was fine before my old PSU started making that whining noise and ... I guess a crackling noise. I am confident the PSU was on its way out. As for the audio, Whether or not the speakers are broken remains to be seen. They were fine just before it happened, and now my computer seems to be slowly but surely working out the white noise. However, I can still hear some white noise, and now what sounds to be a bit of interference. I can definitely hear my mouse communicating with my computer when I move it around. It's almost like I'm hearing the signals going through my computer... its very strange. Aside from that, I'm not sure what else to say about it.

It was fine before my old PSU started making that whining noise and ... I guess a crackling noise. I am confident the PSU was on its way out. As for the audio, Whether or not the speakers are broken remains to be seen. They were fine just before it happened, and now my computer seems to be slowly but surely working out the white noise. However, I can still hear some white noise, and now what sounds to be a bit of interference. I can definitely hear my mouse communicating with my computer when I move it around. It's almost like I'm hearing the signals going through my computer... its very strange. Aside from that, I'm not sure what else to say about it.
I have that same issue, unplugging my headphone from the jack and replugging it in helps. There must be a more permanent solution I do not know of. But people do say PSUs can cause this.

My old PSU was fine until recently. Like I said, I came home to it making a whining noise, and when listening closer, heard a crackling from inside. I worry either, it damaged my motherboard, my motherboard damaged it, or maybe (not sure if this is possible) maybe a fuse is failing and ruining the computers attached to it, though my monitor is fine, as are all my other electronics. My brother (who has the same motherboard) also has issues with his sound.... soo im guessing it's a fata1ty thing...

My old PSU was fine until recently. Like I said, I came home to it making a whining noise, and when listening closer, heard a crackling from inside. I worry either, it damaged my motherboard, my motherboard damaged it, or maybe (not sure if this is possible) maybe a fuse is failing and ruining the computers attached to it, though my monitor is fine, as are all my other electronics. My brother (who has the same motherboard) also has issues with his sound.... soo im guessing it's a fata1ty thing...
Yeah, some high quality boards (>$250) separate the sound components (higher quality audio chipsets) from the motherboard itself. I know one Z77 from ASUS that uses this to prevent interference

Yes, ASUS. Since my pc "guru" told me about them in the 90's, that's all I use, along with Corsair memory.

Yeah, some high quality boards (>$250) separate the sound components (higher quality audio chipsets) from the motherboard itself. I know one Z77 from ASUS that uses this to prevent interference
My motherboard is by no means a cheap motherboard. If I'm correct, the on board audio was made to actually be used, rather than just a "Well, JUST incase you have to use it" thing. I am going to RMA the board because 2 of the RAM slots stopped working. It's surely the card failing.

I never said it was cheap, I was just saying that some higher quality motherboards have sound cards soldered to the motherboard itself.

Back