Who/what is eating up my disk space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorpion_1112

So i brought a new Compaq Presario A900 laptop last month (26th April to be precise), this thing is supposed to have a 160 GB hard disk, it came with two partitions, one of 139 GB and other of 9.65 GB which has system restore files on it.

As it is 10 gb is missing (im not sure how this happens)

And since then, something is eating up disk space in bouts of gbs, like i have stored only about 5.35 + 1 GB (for program files from my side if u take), rest is supposed to be windows stuff.

Oh yes one thing, this thing has windows vista on it and im new to vista. i dont have technical know how of its page file system or system restore or whatever... but i really wish to know and stop whatever is eating up my disk space, coz now im left with only 96 GB (i should be having atleast 115 or sth)

Anyone got any clue?

scorpion_1112 said:
this thing is supposed to have a 160 GB hard disk, it came with two partitions, one of 139 GB and other of 9.65 GB which has system restore files on it.

As it is 10 gb is missing

That's because storage manufacturers count bytes differently from customers. To a manufacturer GB is 1,073,741,824 bytes (2^30), to a customer it's 1,000,000,000 bytes, so there's already a 70/73.7 MB difference in just one gigabyte.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back