Why am I asked to say something when I have nothing to say?

freythman

"Hello freythman, it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?"

Why? What if I don't have anything good to say? You're using my screen real estate to ask me to use up database space on your site, in a useless manner? What happened to, "If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything."?

There ya go. I posted. It was useless. I didn't like it. But now that stupid message will go away.

"Hello freythman, it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?"

Why? What if I don't have anything good to say? You're using my screen real estate to ask me to use up database space on your site, in a useless manner? What happened to, "If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything."?

There ya go. I posted. It was useless. I didn't like it. But now that stupid message will go away.
wow! talk about picking your battles in life. and...bitter much?

When I "Grow Up", I Want to Be a Petulant Little P****y Too..!

I always take this message to mean the people here enjoy and welcome a person's participation.

In your case not so much, familiarity has bred contempt, and rather quickly I hasten to add.

Perhaps the message should be tailored for each of our individual members. In deference to your obvious oversensitivity, inflated ego, and exaggerated sense of self importance, I would suggest, "don't bother posting and go bother someplace else".

Perhaps the message should be tailored for each of our individual members. In deference to your obvious oversensitivity, inflated ego, and exaggerated sense of self importance, I would suggest, "don't bother posting and go bother someplace else".

My thoughts exactly.

I have to agree with freythman that after a while that message must get old, I will look into implementing a little 'X' to make it go away for good.

periodic messages repeating the same text drop into the classification of NAGs very quickly :blush:

Does this message even occur if you don't log in?

Or, must you drop the cookies from your browser when you exit, to be able to browse the site without the announcement?

It shows to registered (logged in) users who haven't posted a single message in 90 or so days.

Never Had a Political Science Course...And I Vow I Never Will...!

The world is full of petty, trifling, lazy, and stupid people, just looking for the slightest reason to be offended. Not surprisingly, they manage to do what's necessary in their minds to fulfill their quest.

IMHO, this thread is a prime example of this phenomenon.

When all that's necessary is to simply >>LOG OUT<< to avoid the message in question, it boggles my mind that people are petty enough to make an issue out of it, let alone feel it to be their obligation to get the "problem" resolved. Wow, now that's the definition of lazy.

It's times like this I'm just thrilled at not having to pander to some obnoxious internet troll by even considering rewriting the website. Especially one who admittedly has nothing worthwhile to say in the first place.

I deeply sympathize with you.

The world is full of petty, trifling, lazy, and stupid people, just looking for the slightest reason to be offended. Not surprisingly, they manage to do what's necessary in their minds to fulfill their quest.

When all that's necessary is to simply >>LOG OUT<< to avoid the message in question, it boggles my mind that people are petty enough to make an issue out of it, let alone feel it to be their obligation to get the "problem" resolved. Wow, now that's the definition of lazy.

It's times like this I'm just thrilled at not having to pander to some obnoxious internet troll by even considering rewriting the website. Especially one who admittedly has nothing worthwhile to say in the first place.

I deeply sympathize with you.

I wasn't offended. I wasn't upset. I wasn't trying to cause an issue. You, my friend, have made that up in your own head.

Have a nice day.

BTW, thanks Julio.

<snip>

Gee, and some feel compelled to go on, and on, and on, and on.... extending this thread which started about such a simple, innocent, and (i thought) humourous statement.. :stickout:

But aside from all that.. let me extend a big Hello! and Welcome to Techspot! :wave: (and all of its cast of characters) to freythman

Why thanks, LookingAround. That was my intention.... Simple. Innocent. And hopefully (obviously not) humorous.

Gee, I Just Found Out I Don't Have a Sense of Humor....

Why thanks, LookingAround. That was my intention.... Simple. Innocent. And hopefully (obviously not) humorous.

It wasn't funny then, it's still not funny now that you've "explained" it.

Now, will this stupid message go away?

Julio, I Hope That This Is More Succinct.......

The stupid message as quoted above, in this very post.

I think if our OP was in fact "joking", then he should have been more up front about that. The content is worded obnoxiously, and it's non-contributory as well. We all make superflous posts, myself as much or more than most. But, in this case, our OP admits he doesn't participate regularly. So, I suppose we can look forward to helping him with problems at sometime in the future, while we listen to some childish rant in the present. It's a safe bet he's not going to pitch in and answer anyone else's questions.

So, if TS is using up all his "screen real estate", I think "theman" needs to go buy a bigger monitor, Don't ask me which one to buy though.

See, now that was "helpful". But just in case anyone reads any malicious intent into it, I think we should let the thread go on for another 3 or 4 pages, until I tell you I was "just kidding".

Back