TechSpot

Why am I not seeing UDMA/66?

By gbhall
Jul 25, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. I have a second hard drive, an old IBM DPTA-372050 which I use for drive imaging

Problem (well not really a problem, more an irritation), is that this drive is only giving me 20Mb/sec so images are taking some three times longer than I expect to write.

The spec is IBM DPTA-372050
    66.6 MB/sec (Ultra DMA/66)
    33.3 MB/sec (Ultra DMA/33)
    16.6 MB/sec (Mode 2 multi-word DMA)
    16.6 MB/sec (Mode 4 PIO) 1.9 MB DRAM

I have a timing from HD tune showing min 12.8Mb/s max 22.2Mb/s average 19.2 Mb/s, burst rate 29.8Mb/s
    According to Sisoft Sandra, my m/b will support PIO-4 and UDMA-4 but is currently only active for IDE in UDMA-2 (which must be my problem)

The OS is Win XP pro SP3, the drivers are MS defaults
    disk.sys and partmgr.sys 5.1.2600.5512
    and also Acronis snapman.sys and tdpm51.sys

The m/b is ASUS K8V-MX and it is apparently the latest bios - what is puzzling is the SATA channel is working at the expected rate where DH tune sees max rates of 56.9 Mb/sec, burst rate 97Mb/s

When I look in the bios, there is nothing to see about the SATA channel, but the IDE channel is at AUTO. If I try to set it manually, it only offers up to UDMA-2 Can I assume this m/b is already running optimally ?

2. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,053   +76

Could it be a cable issue as well? (as far as I remember you need to have 80 wire/40 pin cable for it to work)

3. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 2,346   +49

Good call, Archean, I will check that out.

4. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,053   +76

Ok, please do keep us update, Regards.

5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,426   +317

check BIOS for DMA and not PIO access

6. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,663   +86

HDDs are different back then. Ultra 33, 66, 100, 133 along with PATA 133. Some of older one only work in certain modes.

7. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 2,346   +49

I sourced an 80-wire IDE cable, and here is the result.

After I read this http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html I hoped that the bios would know from pin 34 being grounded that UDMA-4 was now allowed, and it did.

So with the bios now allowing a faster interface, and also being seen by Windows (maximum UDMA mode and current active mode UDMA-4 ) I got these reults from HD tune

Min 13.0MB/s Max 22.2MB/s Average 19.2MB/s pretty exactly as before.....
    However maximum burst is now 56.9, much better than previous 29.8MB/s

Also a bit odd is the presence on IDE channel 2 of two optical devices. Sony DDU1612 and Sony CRX230E already connected by an 80-wire cable, but the bios does NOT allow UDMA-4 on that channel, only UDMA-2

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.