Why can't I change my desktop wallpaper

By Lawman
Feb 9, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I restored my computer the other and now it's not letting me change my wallpaper it sez:
    "This image can't be set as wallpaper. An internal error occurred"
  2. learninmypc

learninmypc TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 5,112   +223

What Operating System are you using? XP, Vista or W7 ?
    Also, what is the exact error code?
  3. Cerf

Cerf Newcomer, in training Posts: 31

From where you try to set it? From Internet Explorer or Windows Photo Viewer?
  4. Lawman

Lawman Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I use windows 7 Home premuim 64Bit
    And I tryed it from intetnet explorer, and I did save the imaage as well onto my desktop but still isn't letting me to set to desktop background. I have read a number of forums where people have experienced the same problem after restoring there computer. Also icons have gone transparent which I have fixed.
    Error message was: "This image can't be set as wallpaper. An internal error occurred"
  5. learninmypc

NO guarantee this will help, but from the W7 forums http://www.sevenforums.com/customiz...top-wallpaper-windows-7-home-premium-x64.html

Other than that, you might look here http://www.howtogeek.com/tag/windows-7/
  6. Lawman

Lawman Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

That didn't help any more suggestions
  7. wrt54gs7

wrt54gs7 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 131

start in safe mode, open cmd.exe (as admin), type "sfc /scannow" without quotes.
  8. learninmypc

Ok, try this Start> Pictures>IF they're in a folder,click it to open it & then pick the picture you want on your desktop & RIGHT click it. and in the menu It should say ; Set As Desktop Background,click it & it should appear. I just did so on a friends Vista Home Premium. Good luck.:)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.