Why can't I play the Diablo 3 open beta?

I know almost nothing about computers and the only PC game I played growing up was diablo 2 with the expansion. I heard about the open beta and was trying to install it but it said it needs a newer operating system to run. I have a Dimension E520. If i wanted to play it would i need a whole new computer?

I don't know, I've just spent about 10-15 minutes researching your system and from what I've seen, it may be "unlikely" your current Dell Dimension E520 is up to the job. I'm currently using an old Dell Dimension 5100c, some of my spec's look a lot like yours, and if it were me, I wouldn't try to run it! You've got to understand something, our older units were basically designed for what was available during the time period of their construction. If we were talking about playing something like Unreal Tournament 1999 or maybe Deus Ex or maybe Quake III Arena or the first and second installments of Half Life, then yeah, we could play those on our computers all day long. But when your venturing into the world of modern day gaming, the new games of today take little notion of being anywhere close to "backwards compatible". Today's games, I hate to say, if they could run for an instant on our older unit's, would rip them apart, freeze up, and react so badly, it would just piss us off!

Perhaps if modern day gaming is something that you want to venture into, than I would seriously recommend either upgrading everything there might be inside you computer to upgrade. Drop the on-board video adapter off the mother board and get yourself a decent little PCI-e video solution. Maybe dump the on-board basic sound controller and get a decent Creative Labs sound card, like one from their "Ti" series. Then I see where the computer supports upgrades from the Pentium 4 to a Core Duo, maybe get the dual core thing, for the Pentium 4 will not do the trick. And do as I did on my 5100c, and that was upgrading it to the max on RAM, yours and mine can be upgraded to a max of 4 Gig's total, if your dancing around with just 2 Gig's of RAM, that would be an upgrade I would put almost first on the list of things to do.

Or we can just go ahead and scrap the old E520 and think about purchasing something new! So one way or the other, upgrading your old system or buying something new, one way or the other I'm sure you'll figure out a way to do some modern day gaming!

Thanks for your help, but it looks like I'm pretty much stuck. I'm only like 15 and my parents won't buy a new computer unless this one breaks.

Well then, seeing your current situation, I guess you may be right and your "stuck" with what you've got! But I might make a suggestion here, if your parent might object to buying "new" parts, would they object to you finding a computer center that deals with selling "recycled" or "used" parts? Sometimes at stores like that, you can take a video card that might be like $200.00 on the shelves of Best Buy and get it at a used parts center for like $50.00. I'm just thinking out loud for you here, it's been decades since worrying about parents saying "yes" or "no" to what ever it was that I wanted.

Or you can just find older games that will work on your computer and just content with those! The original first three installments of the Call of Duty series will work on your computer, those are always fun to play.

I wish you luck here, maybe others can jump in and possibly recommend some older computer games to you!

Good luck..... :)

Just wondering what would be cheaper getting a new one similar to what i have now or upgrading everything in it?

This strikes me a little bonkers, why would you be concerned with buying a new computer that would be close to what you already have? Isn't the point of this to try and get away from what you've got, as so it can maybe play today's modern games? And if your parents are going to object to buying you a new computer, because the one you have is currently working, than what's the point of trying to go down that road? Possibly upgrading what you already have with used components, might be the only avenue that you can drive down, it would possibly make the most sense to your parents and maybe that course of action would get at least a favorable outcome.

We got this computer like 5ish years ago and at the time it was a nice midpriced computer. I didn't mean one like that is to similar mostly just one that is a new midpriced computer.

If your error message said you need a newer operating system to run and you are using the original Windows XP, try installing all the service packs if you haven't already. Your hardware is another story but since the error message was about the OS, it's worth a try.

If your error message said you need a newer operating system to run and you are using the original Windows XP, try installing all the service packs if you haven't already. Your hardware is another story but since the error message was about the OS, it's worth a try.

What the heck are you talking about here? Error message? The original poster said nothing about any type of an "error message"! The original poster is just trying to discern if his computers current setup will play a certain game. And likeapro13, if you are indeed using Microsoft Windows XP "Home" or "Professional" you'll be just fine running modern day games with that Operating System.

Some decent little mid priced systems.....

HP Pavilion p6-2100 Desktop Computer......
http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-p.../B006WSWNX6/ref=de_a_smtd/179-0019503-8729204

HP Pavilion p6630f Desktop Computer......
http://www.frys.com/product/6393071?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Asus Essentio Desktop Computer......
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+...rive/4602619.p?id=1218496191577&skuId=4602619

Dell XPS Desktop Computer......
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+...rive/4634972.p?id=1218501937788&skuId=4634972

There you go likeapro13, those should give you a good foundation of things to think about. The last two options I threw out there may be your best bet, as far as getting close enough to do what it is that you want to do. I would advise to really jump into these four options, research them, dive into the meat of the information, namely in regards to system spec's. Heck you just might select another system to buy, and you know, that's quite alright by me, this is just to give you a launching pad, to help propel you towards something.

Have fun, and good luck!

...and was trying to install it but it said it needs a newer operating system to run.
I take this to mean the OP tried to install it but got some kind of message.

I take this to mean the OP tried to install it but got some kind of message.

Oh, ok, I know where your going with this now! Sorry for that! Yeah, just sounds like your run of the mill incompatibility message.

No problem, Zen. :)

To elaborate, I checked the minimum requirements for the game and found that Windows XP is supported. So if XP is okay yet you get that message, it might be that the service packs are not installed.

Back