Why can't I run DOOM 1 and Wolftenstein 3D on Windows 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcwizard96

i downloaded the game files for both of the games and installed them with ease. But turns out they cannot run on my computer.

you're probably gonna need to either use compatibility modes or use some sort of emulator. some of the older games also require some video tweaks and might require vsync or lower color settings. my suggestion... look for vista guides on running older windows games and then try to apply the same steps in 7.

Use DOSBox, an emulator for old PC games. Unfortunately I have no experience with Win7 and running it. You'll have to google around for some guides on it, or maybe someone here uses DOSBox with Win7.

thanks for the quick reply. i tried using the emulator and it worked just fine. thanks again for the assistance.

Just to give some additional information. Windows 7 64-bit does not offer 16-bit emulation, unlike the 32-bit versionm which is why those legacy games are not working at all directly in the Operating System. Usage of an emulator like DOSBox, mentionned earlier is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back