Why did everyone get banned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimeParadoX

Sorry, I've been gone for quite awhile... I've been working on a HL2 mod.

I just came back to TS only to see many people being banned. Why is this? Did they all do something or was it just a specific few who did wrong?

One moderator decides to misuse his powers and leaves, some of his friends follow. They were banned because of constant complaining about the situation, as far as I know.

Fortunately we haven't had many occasions like this, the last moderator before this who got demoted was in 2002.

Many of us moderators and staff (staves? :p) are getting tired of seeing threads about this, let's just move on, please.

Well Then If Someones Banned......

I am a little confused. Since many (a couple, few, whatever) banned individuals are still active (?) and posting, I actually had taken the "banned" next to their names as a practical joke. One line "far and away from being a member, banned", certainly contributed to my befuddlement. I am not advocating this by any means, but if someone's to be "banned", shouldn't their password be revoked?

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who had noticed. There were quite a few.
One was banned due to malicious activity due to a mental breakdown. Others were banned for other reasons....

Every day or 2 someone asks the same questions that have been already answered in other threads over the past month. Mict is right, we are tired of seeing this, it is time to move on, nothing is going to get reversed.

I would imagine many of the banned went against some of the things in this old thread that still is relavent: Profanity, Poor Conduct, and General Instability

When you say everyone, let's specify it's only a handful of members most of which won't be missed here anyhow.

As everybody else mentioned, you may want to read previous threads for substance in the matter, but in short, Howard went nuts and did horrible things using his mod powers. He was removed from his position as a result, he never cared for contacting me directly but I started to receive numerous complaints and later bad mouthing for TechSpot started to appear. Finally those banned members started abusing the PM system, using it to spam other regulars telling them "how bad" TS admins were to them and that they had started another forum (not surprinsingly full of ads).

I don't know how but I remained very composed regarding this whole thing and did my best not to lower myself nor TechSpot to the level of such individuals.
Also I must mention the incredible job done by SNGX who was around most of the time helping me with this along with other mods and regulars who saw how we were being attacked and not the other way around.

I own TCF, lets clear a few things up.

It was started over two years ago and not as a result of any fall out here, I have never even heard of this forum.

Also you know more than anyone that bandwidth has to be paid for somehow and if you look we have nigh on the same amount of ads as you.

So please don't drag us into your mess, we have nothing to do with this.

EDIT:

There are two TCF's in question. The one I refer to above is NOT Dave's site, and I do apologize for that, however my comments on the above site stand.

I do also note there are quite a few members in common, which means nothing other than that people go to both sites- Please do not read anything into that without doing your own research.

NOTE: I RETRACT THIS QUESTION, PLEASE SEE EDIT ABOVE. Content left for historical purposes.

The correct TCF referred to was registered 1.5 years ago, see http://webwhois.nic.uk/cgi-bin/whoi...orums.co.uk&WHOIS+Submit.x=0&WHOIS+Submit.y=0

Also in posts on his forums, Dave and Evilfantasy made classy statements passively asking his members not to be stirring it up. I would hope we can follow suit soon.

OLD POST:
Then why say it's your forum and you own it?

You can take action when you hear your members have done something. If it is understood that an action is unacceptable, it will drop or stop.

Regardless of what is going on with various sites, I've only seen the people that were banned here coming back under different names, and now someone from another site coming here when everyone here doesn't even want to discuss this anymore. I don't care where the people that got banned go, but I do care when they evade bans, and bring in others from other sites to continue to fight about it. Just move on, be happy with your forum. Every oppertunity for this to die down has been ended and I'm growing extremely tired of having this crap be the 'hot topic' on the forums, we are a tech site, not a soap opera.

It would seem your members left you and joined many forums, mine being one of them.

Either way, I don't really care, I just didn't want my name tarnished but it seems it isn't after closer inspection.

I apologize and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back