Why Do Phone Batteries Still Only Last a Day?

learninmypc

Smartphones have been in our lives for nearly two decades, and we’ve seen huge improvements in that time. However, one thing has mostly remained the same—charging your phone every day. Why hasn’t battery life gotten better along with everything else? FULL ARTICLE

Smartphones have been in our lives for nearly two decades, and we’ve seen huge improvements in that time. However, one thing has mostly remained the same—charging your phone every day. Why hasn’t battery life gotten better along with everything else? FULL ARTICLE
Batteries are half the size now and hold a full days charge....

There is no need for a heavier, more expensive phone, for no reason.....

Batteries use to take hours to charge... now they take 30m.....

those are the reasons^

Batteries are half the size now and hold a full days charge....

There is no need for a heavier, more expensive phone, for no reason.....

Batteries use to take hours to charge... now they take 30m.....

those are the reasons^
30 minutes?? I've never seen that to be true, usually at least a few hours.

The primary reason is that smart phones now have far more powerful cpus in them, along with much larger, brighter displays. That takes more power.

The original iPhone had a 1500 mAh battery: about 5.1 watt-hrs of energy (the iPhone 3G even smaller). Current iPhones have batteries in the 12-16 watt-hr range. Luckily, thanks to smaller process nodes, today's phones are not that much more power-hungry, despite their much beefier specifications.

Last edited:
NOT true, I plug mine DIRECTLY into a wall outlet & it takes a few hours, minimum.
Err, if you plugged your phone directly into a wall outlet, you'd fry it instantly. The charger and the cable itself have to both support fast charging.

Err, if you plugged your phone directly into a wall outlet, you'd fry it instantly. The charger and the cable itself have to both support fast charging.
Again not true. I've had an iPhone 6 plus for several years, 2nd hand & have always plugged it in directly & its still working fine. Ditto with my iphone SE 1st edition I've had for a few years..

NOT true, I plug mine DIRECTLY into a wall outlet & it takes a few hours, minimum.
Yes, it is True....!

Like I said,
A) buy yourself a modern charger and you will not have a problem charging your phone.
Or
B) Buy a modern phone.

There mere fact you believe that plugging directly into the wall outlet means anything at all... is tell-tale statement. Not sure the importance of that statement, or even what it means. Do you actually think it matters where you plug your phone in..?

btw... the iPhone 6 is NOT a modern phone, it is discontinued and 8 years old... neither is the iPhone SE... which is 7 years old.!

Your problem is not with phones, but with you complaining about OLD phones you seem to be hanging on to for no reason.

Yes, it is True....!

Like I said,
A) buy yourself a modern charger and you will not have a problem charging your phone.
Or
B) Buy a modern phone.

There mere fact you believe that plugging directly into the wall outlet means anything at all... is tell-tale statement. Not sure the importance of that statement, or even what it means. Do you actually think it matters where you plug your phone in..?

btw... the iPhone 6 is NOT a modern phone, it is discontinued and 8 years old... neither is the iPhone SE... which is 7 years old.!

Your problem is not with phones, but with you complaining about OLD phones you seem to be hanging on to for no reason.
The age of both don't matter, they work great for my photography. Enough said

As someone who went from iPhone 6 to s10+ a few years ago, I can say you would be possibly amazed at the difference in the camera. They keep improving the phone cameras every generation and it's amazing.

But yes. The iPhone 6 isn't really that modern anymore. I don't think it even supports wireless charging nor fast charging?

As for batteries seeming to not improve. Phones are getting more and more powerful. More processing power, higher resolution, etc. So the battery capacity is increasing too. As well as efficiency on the phone to make it last longer, I imagine.

if you are truly into photography... you are absolutely using the wrong phone. If an 7 year old phone is what u like, then just say so... but don't complain about how long it takes to charge, etc.

doesn't make sense...

I don't know about other phones but my 2020 Motorola Moto G Power has a 5Ah battery and I charge it 2-3 times a week, at most. I charge it here at my desk at work but that's only when I remember to. If I don't remember to, it doesn't matter because, to date, I've never seen it go below 25% and it takes maybe an hour to get it back to full from 25%. I've had the phone since early 2021 and it's still doing just fine.

That battery was something that I couldn't say no to because it just never runs out of juice. When it comes to phones, I actively avoid brands like Samsung because I'm not interested in paying $200 just because it says "Samsung" on it. I'd much rather get a Motorola or HTC because, for the same price, I'll get a better phone than Samsung would offer me.

I don't know about other phones but my 2020 Motorola Moto G Power has a 5Ah battery and I charge it 2-3 times a week, at most. I charge it here at my desk at work but that's only when I remember to. If I don't remember to, it doesn't matter because, to date, I've never seen it go below 25% and it takes maybe an hour to get it back to full from 25%. I've had the phone since early 2021 and it's still doing just fine.

That battery was something that I couldn't say no to because it just never runs out of juice. When it comes to phones, I actively avoid brands like Samsung because I'm not interested in paying $200 just because it says "Samsung" on it. I'd much rather get a Motorola or HTC because, for the same price, I'll get a better phone than Samsung would offer me.
The main reason I buy flagship phones is for the battery life and I just keep it in power saver mode. I can go days without charging my phone. I also noticed that the charge drops off quickly from 100 to 70% but lasts a very long time between 30 and 70. It isn't until it drops below 30 that I have around 5-6 hours of charge left. I, too, charge my S21+ about 2-3 times a week and I have a lot of screen time with it daily as I use it for work.

Only times I have to turn power saver off is if I have poor reception and that seems to do the trick. If I forget to turn power saver off I'd say I have about a 30 hour battery life which could be argued as a single days charge.

I will say that the s21+ isn't worth the $1000 asking price(at time of release) but I got it for free with promotions and trade ins. And when I say free I mean free, no monthly payment plan.

I did a thorough battery test on it recently and I've only lost about 8% of the battery since it was new. I plan on running for the next year or so but I'm heavily considering dropping another battery in it to try to extend its life to the 5 year mark. I figure by the end of year 3(march will be 2 years of ownership for me) I'll have lost around 15% battery and at that point it will be economically viable to replace the battery.

I'm heavily considering getting a Google Pixel so I can run GrapheneOS but, man, do I had that camera bump on the back of them. I work in an enviorment that is not kind to electronics and I've been thrilled with the durability of the samsung. I'm concern that the camera bump on the back of the pixel will impact the durability. I put the best case avalible on all my phones and I see the Pixel camera bump as being a weak point even in the most expensive case avalible.

Back