Why doesn't my java work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jokenkil

i tried playing runescape a couple of days ago and it said that java wasnt installed on my computer and i went to the link it gave to download it and it said i cant download it because it was already installed. then i went and treid enabling it and i cant find it anywhere. so wat is the problem and how can i fix it?

Hmm...

Why don't you try
1) Uninstall your current Java (XP: Control Panel-> Add/Remove Programs. Or in Vista see this link)
2) Then go to www.java.com and click to download the latest version
3) When it's done, you should see the animation which verifies your Java is installed correctly

If still problems, let us also know
1) Which browser you're using
2) In your browser click Help->About to also report the version number of the browser you're using

/* EDIT */
Also which version of Windows and Service Pack level and make sure you're up to date with all Windows updates

check your environment variables

MyComputer->right.click->properties->Advanced Tab->Env Vars

your need a CLASSPATH and JAVARTE under SYSTEM VARS

what do you show?

get a command prompt and just enter JAVA
the return should be like
Code:
Usage: java [-options] class [args...]
           (to execute a class)
   or  java [-options] -jar jarfile [args...]
           (to execute a jar file)

where options include:
    -client       to select the "client" VM
    -server       to select the "server" VM
    -hotspot      is a synonym for the "client" VM  [deprecated]
                  The default VM is client.

-cp <class search path of directories and zip/jar files>
    -classpath <class search path of directories and zip/jar files>
                  A ; separated list of directories, JAR archives,
                  and ZIP archives to search for class files.
    -D<name>=<value>
                  set a system property
    -verbose[:class|gc|jni]
                  enable verbose output
    -version      print product version and exit
    -version:<value>
                  require the specified version to run
    -showversion  print product version and continue
    -jre-restrict-search | -jre-no-restrict-search
                  include/exclude user private JREs in the version search
    -? -help      print this help message
    -X            print help on non-standard options
    -ea[:<packagename>...|:<classname>]
    -enableassertions[:<packagename>...|:<classname>]
                  enable assertions
    -da[:<packagename>...|:<classname>]
    -disableassertions[:<packagename>...|:<classname>]
                  disable assertions
    -esa | -enablesystemassertions
                  enable system assertions
    -dsa | -disablesystemassertions
                  disable system assertions
    -agentlib:<libname>[=<options>]
                  load native agent library <libname>, e.g. -agentlib:hprof
                    see also, -agentlib:jdwp=help and -agentlib:hprof=help
    -agentpath:<pathname>[=<options>]
                  load native agent library by full pathname
    -javaagent:<jarpath>[=<options>]
                  load Java programming language agent, see java.lang.instrument

-splash:<imagepath>
                  show splash screen with specified image
echo %path% should contain C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.x.y_zzz\bin

Hi jokenkil
Let's back up and have you re-attempt to install java. If you continue to have problems you must be more specific about your system specs to get more specific help.

1. Click here to go www.java.com
2. Click the Free Java Download button on that web page
3. Does it install?
>> If yes, be sure to also click on the java web site to allow it to verify it installed java correctly (you'll see an animation)
>> If install FAILS
  • Go back to the www.java.com page again. Note under the download button, you'll see a Do i have Java link you should click. You'll also find help additional help info on the java web site
  • However, if the java site doesn't help you fix your problem, you need to give us more specific info to get more specific help. Tell us which version of Windows (e.g. XP or vista) you are running and which Windows' Service Pack (SP) level is installed. Also what browser are you using? (and as i asked before click Help->About in your browser to tell us the version number of your browser

Hi jobeard
A side note: From your posts, i suspect you're thinking of and maybe still running an older java release?
As best i can tell the newer Java versions (which is currently release 6 update 14) doesn't set the PATH variable at all it seems (e.g. i'm running XP Pro SP3 and i don't see any reference to java in my own PATH vs. only seeing it in CLASSPATH)

it could be that I have the SDK (ie the developers install) where we use the java command to compile the source into the class files

it could be that I have the SDK (ie the developers install) where we use the java command to compile the source into the class files
Yep.:grinthumb Makes sense as i only have Java JRE installed myself.

So.... jokenkil
The net result.... Please try the install again per instructions in my last post (post #8). And be sure to give tell us more about your system specs/exact errors if it should fail again.

it didnt work again and it said that it is allready installed but it wont work im using internet explorer version 8 and windows vista

Go back to www.java.com
Under the Download button click the link that says Do I have Java?

You should be seeing an image similar to below, right?
1) What version does it say is installed? (note that Version 6 Update 14 is the latest. as you see displayed in the image below)
2) Then also click the link on the website that says Test Your Virtual Java Machine. Does it say it is working?
3) Also note you'll find many Help links on the java web site to give you more info about your java installation

I'd advise you test/verify/install directly from the Java website to install and check your installation. Don't do so through your game website. Use the java site to diagnose and fix any problems.
java.png

/* EDIT */
btw.. i'd also be certain to run Windows Update to make sure you have all the latest updates and fixes applied to your computer

hmm; When attempting to update, I had to get brutal with Java; Uninstall failed as did an attempt to reinstall.
I had to use regedit to obliterate JAVA reference (hint: delete even class keys which have a subkey reference to C:\Program Files\Java\*).
Once that was clean, the raw files C:\Program Files\Java\jre* could be deleted
and that lead to a successful Install of the update.

be sure to take a Restore Point before attempting this approach AND
be careful to avoid any key with JavaScript reference;

Test #2 above proves the Java Applet is properly installed and configure which is
typically what is important to the majority of users.

i went to java.com and it said i did not have java installed so i tried to install again but again it failed and there is nothing on the java website that has helped me

But when it fails it must be giving you some error code number and message. It would be helpful if you could tell us the error code number and the message to get an idea of WHY it's failing

it gives a message but no error code the message is (Another version of this product is already installed. installation of this version cannot continue. to configure or remove the existing version of this product, use add/remove programs on the control panel.) i have tried to delete the existing product but it wont delete and i was on the java website and it told me i dont have java installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back