Why doesn't my new DVI to HDMI cable show my whole screen?

childofthetao

On my PC there are two DVI outputs, I have been using a DVI cable with my LCD monitor in 1920x1080 without problems. I bought a DVI to HDMI cable (DVI on computer, HDMI in monitor) but the whole screen doesn't show, there is a bit missing from each side and the top and bottom.

I am using windows 7, its like my computer is displaying 1920x1080 but the monitor shows a resolution slightly lower. I have a nvidia 460SE, in the nvidia CP when I am connected through my DVI-HDMI cable, all the selectable screen resolutions disappear leaving me with no selection.

How can I get full 1080p resolution?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

what is the specified refresh rate of your monitor @ 1080, and what refresh rate are you set at now?

and this is a DVI to HDMI cable, and not an adapter?

what is the specified refresh rate of your monitor @ 1080, and what refresh rate are you set at now?

and this is a DVI to HDMI cable, and not an adapter?

The specified refresh rate of my monitor is 60hz and that it what it is set to right now.

If I connect through the DVI-HDMI cable, not only do all the screen resolutions disappear from the list in nvidia CP, but the refresh rate sets to 59hz (and I can't change it to anything else).

Yes this is a cable, not an adapter.

Its a big hassle, its a inf problem. You have to modify the inf and blah,, too much work to be done.

try auto adjust. Or just go DVI to DVI I guess.. gl

Its a big hassle, its a inf problem. You have to modify the inf and blah,, too much work to be done.

Can you give me a bit more information please so I can search google and figure out what I have to do? I'd rather try it then buy another cable, the DVI-D cable are pretty expensive compared to the one I already wasted money on.

Ok I will help you best I can.

When you boot up your PC do you get a POST on the screen ? Is the screen off in the POST dos mode.

I would try the driver of the monitor cuz that has the right inf and could fix your problem.

Just search for your monitor model and say driver. Make sure to get proper driver for the OS your using, be 32bit or 64bit. After installing that driver,,, go and make sure you set to 60hz instead of 59hz ,,, If the screen is off you can fix it with nvidia nvPanel. That is one choice or you can fix it through the monitor controls. Id try the nvidia panel and adjust image it will let you center it. let me know,, gl

yikes. my first advice is take everything you read online with a grain of salt. whoops, including this.

anyways....i have the same graphics card connected to a 52" samsumg tv and i had the same clipping issue.

i'll spare you the details but the issue is how the pixel coordinates translate....

Check the "picture size" setting for your monitor. It's probably at 16:9 right now.....

change it to "Just scan"

cheers.

yikes. my first advice is take everything you read online with a grain of salt. whoops, including this.

anyways....i have the same graphics card connected to a 52" samsumg tv and i had the same clipping issue.

i'll spare you the details but the issue is how the pixel coordinates translate....

Check the "picture size" setting for your monitor. It's probably at 16:9 right now.....

change it to "Just scan"

cheers.

Thanks for this, but I now have dots on my screen. Green dots all over my desktop, not on anything white though, this website seems un-dotted. Any ideas what this could be? I tried changing my refresh rate to 59hz but that made no difference.

Overscan. Go into your nVIDIA/AMD display settings and max it out, and you will get your full picture back.

Did you get a DVI-A to HDMI cable? You don't want DVI-A (Analog). You said your pins are different, and DVI-A connector is the most obvious when compared to DVI-I and DVI-D cables.

http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

Thanks for that information page, I now know the names of the connections. I bought a DVD-D double link cable when I should have got a single link one.

I actually ordered one a few days ago, this time knowing what connector to get. They still sent me the same thing... I ordered an adapter too, it's not arrived yet. Hopefully it will look like it does in the picture this time.

Strange thing, the green dots have disappeared and everything is working fine now. I guess it wasn't the "wrong" cable after all :)

EDIT: I spoke too soon, everything was fine all day but suddenly my screen is now blurry.

Could you tell me what exactly is the difference between these two DVI-D cables, the dual link and single link. Is only one supposed to work? Or are they both supposed to work? Because I'm confused as hell.

EDIT: Never mind I discovered what is wrong. If I set my monitor to it's movie preset that makes things go blurry for some reason. I changed it back to dynamic and everything is perfect. Thanks for helping me sort this :)

Back