TechSpot

Why doesn't Windows load (not even in safe mode)?

By rshb
Aug 2, 2008
  1. My computer got infected with 'Winsecurity toolbar 2.1' (a spyware) and to fix it, I installed and ran SuperAnti Spyware (reviews say it's good). It then asked me to restart the pc, which I did manually. When it reached the 'click your username to continue' stage, the usernames weren't there. I opened my user with Ctrl+Alt+Del but then only the wallpaper showed up, no icons. I then tried to load it in safe mode but now only the blue screen ('windows is starting up...') appears and it doesn't go any further.

Please find me a solution. ANY help would be highly appreciated...

Many thanks...

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Once you log in (without any icons)
    Do a Ctrl + Alt + Del again
    Hopefully Task Manager opens
    Click on File-->Run-->explorer.exe

Do your icons now show?

If so, do the following:
    Check the Shell value for Winlogon in your registry (start->Run->Regedit). Under
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    should show:

Shell REG_SZ explorer.exe

Or download this tool: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/XP_FixLogon.zip
    This utility checks for the correct GINA value in the Registry and will allow you to restore it, if its incorrect.

3. conradodav

conradodav Banned Posts: 16

have you checked your BIOS configuration?

4. rshb

rshb TS Rookie Topic Starter

Well, I just reloaded my Windows coz that seemed to be the easiest option. But now I have landed on another trouble - my files are lost. Although the files weren't really important but if I can find them somewhere, that would be great. Do you guys know if I can get back my files?

Thanks a lot for your quick replies btw.

5. terminator911

terminator911 TS Rookie Posts: 35

You should've repaired your installation instead of formatting your C drive and starting from scratch. You formatted the HDD and in doing so deleted everything on it.

You could try running Recuva http://www.recuva.com/ and see what you get. Not sure that you'll be able to recover much though.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.