Why is my core 2 duo e6300 cpu running at 100c and my 667 ram running at 333mhz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

korrupt

According to PC Wizard 2006, both my cores on my core 2 duo e6300 are running at 100degrees celcius. PCW also sais that my ram is running at 333mhz even though its 667mhz ram...?

Any ideas on the cause/solution for this?

Regards,

Korrupt

DDR2 667 = 333.33 x2 = 667MHz. It is showing the true speed of your ram, but as it is DDR2, it is "double pumped" to an effective speed of 667mhz.

Also, your temps are too high. You should be in the 60c range. Check in your bios to see if it is also showing high temp readings there. It could also be an out of date bios, but if your temps really are that high, you'll want to reseat that CPU with some new thermal paste.

Make sure to check your bios because many programs that tell you temps have not yet been updaed to the chipsets that the core 2 duo uses. Although your system may be overheating 100C is unlikely because intel CPUs shut themselves down at 80C If the bios reports temps much above 60C you should reseat/replace the CPU cooler.
If your useing the stock intel fan overheating problems can be caused by the clips not being attached properly causeing the heatsink to not make proper contact with the CPU. (those 4 clips on intel coolers been a problrm sience they came out) Many 3rd party socket 775 coolers fixed this situation by useing 4 screws and a back plate for them to secure too.If you don't have one of these coolers I recomend you get one sience the fix alot of problems. Also makesure to use good thermal paste like artic silver because the stock thermal pads/paste are lousy.

Th get a decent idea of your CPU temp from bios run your computer for a few hours then restart and go into bios.

What program are you using for the temps (or bios?)? Every temp program I use gives me a faulty reading on a certain temperature sensor. 100C is the melting point, although it does seem possible to happen.

Make sure you tightened the clamps on the heatsink ( if your using the stock heatsink). I had the same problem, and it was only because 1 of the 4 heatsinks clamps was not as tight as it needed to be.

Edit: Just realized that dmill89 said that already. As he mentioned the clamps are really screwy (no pun intended)

I've just recently built a new computer (Intel core duo e8500, asus s775 motherboard)and as soon as I booted it up I had the same temperature reading, 100c, along with a CPU temperature error message.
I checked the CPU temp in the bios, and the motherboard sits at around 30c.

The dodgy clips on the Intel fan that came with the chip seem to be installed ok, it felt like I was going to break the board because I had to push it in so hard.

The fan's heat sink is touching the CPU ok and the thermal pad thingo got squished in between the of the CPU and the fan.

Any suggestions?
Could it be something to do with the bios settings?
I have a feeling that the 100c is an incorrect reading.

what program are u using to read the tempts? the BIOS should be giving the correct reading.

Been using the BIOS to check the temperature.
A friend suggested to me that it may be a problem with an out of date BIOS not recognising the newer cpu, and that I should go to the ASUS site and see if I can find a BIOS update.
I havent installed anything on the hard drive yet because the computers new.

Your CPU temperature is fine.
The bios is reading near 100c because it has added more then one reading.
Divide your CPU temp by 2 and get your true temperature.

(a few) core 2 duo bios temp / 2

Mine is the E8400 and my Abit bios says 103c and beeps sirens all day (if the cpu beep alert is activated).
The truth is that if any processor was running for days at 103c it would not be from this world.
And it would have shut down.

Grams79

RealTempt_2.70 is a good program to read the temp on the new cpus. it is the best at getting the correct TJmax, and thus gives the closet reading.

Your CPU temperature is fine.
The bios is reading near 100c because it has added more then one reading.
Divide your CPU temp by 2 and get your true temperature.

(a few) core 2 duo bios temp / 2

Mine is the E8400 and my Abit bios says 103c and beeps sirens all day (if the cpu beep alert is activated).
The truth is that if any processor was running for days at 103c it would not be from this world.
And it would have shut down.

Grams79

Ahh yeah, that makes sense. My computers working nicely now.
I had a computer savy friend come around and it turned out that it was the BIOS that needed updating.
I'm using the ASUS program, "pc probe II" that came with the motherboard, to check the cpu temp. This program seems pretty good, it gives a whole bunch of infomation about fan speeds and temperatures and gives you the option to change a few of the cpu fan settings etc without having to go into the BIOS.
At the moment its running at 49C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back