Why is the network connection so slow?

By Jskid
May 8, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. It's my first time working for a multinational company and the network speed is ridiculous. Max speed I've seen copying from a network drive is 14KB/sec, normally bellow 10KB/sec. How could it possibly be so slow? I know the ISP is at least in the same country
  2. ComputerGuy55

ComputerGuy55 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 530

The company needs to get someone come in and take a look at the issue. Run a packet sniffer on the network, find out if the routers/switches etc are running optimally.. One piece of bad hardware could mess it up, specially if it's right where the network leaves the company and goes to the ISP.

I would have a professional investigate the issue as it could be a lot more complex then it seems, Could just need to reboot the network completely.
  3. ITLogicSystems

ITLogicSystems TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 106

OMG! 14KB/sec copying from a network drive! Dear God! there is something serious wrong on the LAN side of your network. How many users/nodes are connected to the network? what kind of equipment are we talking about here? Who is the ISP? As ComputerGuy55 said a professional may need to come in and assist you in troubleshooting the serious latency issues on your network. Give us a little more info & we may be able to at least get you going in the right direction.... Hope this helps!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.