Why is this RAM so cheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlrka

Hi,
I'm working on a dell workstation w/dual xeon 3000 proc. and don't want to put a lot into it 'til I know the mobo is OK. I found a place to get used (w/guarantee} 512 ddr2 pc3200 400mz low density sticks for $4 ea.
Why so cheap? is there something I should know about HYNIX memory?
Thanks.

I don't know if $4 for used 512 MB is really all that cheap.
It's made by Hyundai which I didn't even know made memory.
You can get new 1GB for under $30. What is the warranty?

7 days

Thing is, with this comp you need at least 2 sticks of whatever.
If you put in one which I have, it says " hey, where's the other one dummy?'

2x$30 + $60 2x$4=$8

well first off that speed of memory is 5 or 6 years old, i dont see why it wouldnt be that cheap, especially used.

Well then, it seems like the price has your mind made up.
A 7-day warranty is a joke, but then if you purchase it, Run a memtest and see how it performs.
If it's faulty, you'll see it within a couple days.
How long do you have to guarantee your work for? Is it worth the time and effort?

Buy some good quality sticks, will cost you next to nothing compared to the head aches you will/may have in the future. Not to mention a new set would come with a year warranty from just about any manufacturer.

pay $70 for mem to find out the mobo is dead?

The Question was --is there any known issues with HYNIX memory?

Any company will make faulty memory. It's only $8, what are you losing? Just buy it and do a memtest.
Why is it that all of a sudden you're hinting the mobo may be dead?
What is the problem you are having with the PC, if you let us know, you may not have to purchase ram at all.

Any company will make faulty RAM, we're only human, for $8, you have nothing to lose, again, you can do a memtest with it and see if it's any good within a couple days.

Hynix is frequent included in New Dells.
Nothing wrong with Hynix, but it is unwise to buy 512 MB modules... due to performance and long term cost.

Why buy used memory which could have been exposed to high frequency radiation, or excessive heat, or audio interference... other things that can shorten life.
New memory usually has a lifetime warranty nowadays for very little more if you shop around.

The old SDRAM is more expensive than DDR RAM... I have static bags full of old SDRAM and DDR RAM removed from scrap computers. When I use these modules I always run the computers for several days, before I return the computers to my customers. I never have returns... knock on wood :) I warrantee for 30 days. I have computers out there 5 years now

There is a difference, methinks, between a tech install and a tech warranty or relationship with the owner, and someone who doesn't know what Hynix memory is, nor the actual model description of a Dell Workstation or the memory it requires.
Nothing wrong with used memory if you know what you are getting, and are willing to support it.

ram is a commodity, like pork bellies and orange juice. Prices fluctuate daily. Older ram becomes more obscure and thus rarer. Brand new types are just as scare. Laws of supply and demand here.

jlrka said:
I'm working on a dell workstation w/dual xeon 3000 proc. and don't want to put a lot into it 'til I know the mobo is OK. I found a place to get used (w/guarantee} 512 ddr2 pc3200 400mz low density sticks for $4 ea.
Why so cheap? is there something I should know about HYNIX memory?
Hynix is used by extensively by OEMs, and you can buy their products serperately as well. In my work as an IBM and Lenovo warranty technician, I have found Hynix RAM to be a decent buy. Hynix is not my first choice, and I have never used it in a custom build. However, in my experience it is good cheap RAM with acceptable reliability.

If the mentioned guarantee covers you if the modules don't work or aren't needed, I would say go for it. The only way this could be a bad purchase is if the modules have been abused in some way, or were part of a recall. On that note, I have never come across modules that were part of the South Korean manufacturer's recalls.

Ted is right on ram though. Go to wally world and look at 1 gig of ddr2 vs 1 gig of ddr. the ddr is roughly twice as much. SDRAM PC133/100 is incredibly expensive from a retailer now. It has been for quite some time.

I have heard trade shows are where you can get 100/133 for cheap or free, but I don't go to them, and I don't know of any around me, so to me it is hard to come by, and needed. But I'm not going to pay very much. So that puts me in a position where nothing happens, because I'm not willing to pay much for old ram, but yet I have some old comps that could benefit from it.

WOW 8 Dollars, That's More Than a Whole Hand of Blackjack..

This post is done.
Way too many Republicans here

That's great man, just shut the f*** up, spend the eight bucks, and see what happens!

BTW, I'm a democrat.

Why even bother to start a thread over 8 bucks?

There is a difference, methinks, between a tech install and a tech warranty or relationship with the owner, and someone who doesn't know what
Prithee tell me, do you tech types have a special touch jamming a DIMM in a slot. Is it really hard to do? Can I be your customer?

This post is done.
Way too many Republicans here

Nice...

You brought nothing technical to the table, and you brought in a whole lot of politics. For the moment I'm going to go ahead and let this pass. But you have 13 posts as of my quote, with your tone in that post, I'm going to make an educated guess and bet that any other of yours I view are going to be equally politically charged. If that is the case... then too bad for you, because you are going to be banished. If you somehow aren't politicizing every thread you are in as I suspect, then good for you, and you are safe.

is there any known issues with HYNIX memory?
Yes, it's how they stay in business: They make RAM that doesn't work correctly in anything. :)

supersmashbrada: Buy some good quality sticks
For what reason? And why is Hynix is not 'good quality'? You don't know anything about these modules so how do you make that presumption?

raybay: unwise to buy 512 MB modules... due to performance and long term cost.
He said, "don't want to put a lot into it 'til I know the mobo is OK.". Long-term cost wise, I don't think it matters to the thread author.

Why buy used memory which could have been exposed to high frequency radiation, or excessive heat, or audio interference...
That would be everything in the Universe...

Anyway, this entire thread is ridiculous.

I barely have to use two hands to count the number of actual, real manufacturers that *make* memory chips... In fact, Hynix is the second largest memory chip manufacturer in the world. Other companies like OCZ, Mushkin, Kingston etc.. Use memory chips from those manufacturers to fab their own modules: all they do is assemble it into a usable package for you and I.

To question $4 RAM is valid, but most of you have put your "silly glasses" on while viewing this thread, with suggestions like getting a better warranty for 5 times the cost and blaming republicans for bad RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back