Why the registry entries still remain in registry editor?

S

swaoamit

Hi Guys, :)

Very simple but important question for PC user, Why The Registry Entries Still Remain In Registry Editor?

I am not so called 'novice' user but I can't figure out an answer for above mentioned 'simple' question. WHY ?

Well, I used so many different softwares to maintained my PC clean; i.e. CCleaner, Wise PC Engineer, WinUtilities and couple of other softs. But none of them CLEAN registry entries perfectly. When I double check the Registry Entries in Registry Editor, I found that so many or say almost every entry of uninstalled softwares remain there.

So, How could we clean them up? Manually ?

Answers and Reply Appreciated.

Thanks.:)

Registry entries that relate to uninstalled software are, in most cases, completely harmless and only take up a tiny amount of space on your hard drive. Registry cleaners should be avoided, although they can have their uses, they can cause problems in deleting important registry keys, this in turn can make virus detection very difficult. Various cleaning tools like TFC or ATF are harmless and far safer than using a registry cleaner and they don't mess with the registry.

You can make a back up of your registry and then manually delete any keys that relate to old software and see what happens. Your system may become unstable but I would be surprised if you gain any advantage from this process. If it all goes wrong you can then restore the registry.

Be aware that some registry entries that relate to software that has been uninstalled may also be linked to other software and removing them may disable the associated program. You really need to be an expert to be able to decide what can go or needs to stay.

Good luck.

Thanks for replies.

Registry entries that relate to uninstalled software are, in most cases, completely harmless ...
I agree with you Mark56; but what if -
someone install any suspicious software (by unknown about software) for his need. And after sometime he getting a problem with PC and uninstalled it; but the REGISTRY still remain in Editor. Then what?

Thanks.:)

but what if -
someone install any suspicious software (by unknown about software) for his need. And after sometime he getting a problem with PC and uninstalled it; but the REGISTRY still remain in Editor. Then what?

The only situation I have come across like this is with anti virus software but the manufacturer has (in many cases) designed a removal tool to delete the entries in the registry that can cause a problem. Anything else that is likely to cause any issues would most likely to recognised as malware by anti virus software. In the worst possible case a clean install of the OS would resolve the problem or using a registry back up restore.

Using WOT from here http://www.mywot.com/ can help guard against downloading dubious software from suspicious sites.

Back