Why won't my computer stop crashing?

Gammio

My computer absolutely refuses to work for no good reason. I have a pretty good graphics card and what should be a more than decent processor. Even still, my computer still crashes and programs still crash all the time. Team Fortress 2, Rock of Ages, even Poker Night at the Inventory, they ALL crash with no warning and exellent ping on my part. I thought it was the CPU overheating, because I could feel the back of the PC getting really hot when I played TF2 for a couple hours, but then I played PNatI, and when THAT crashes, it's barely warm.

I am totally out of ideas at this point. ANY kick in the right direction would be helpful.

If you provide us a list of your system specifications. This would be a lot easier to help you diagnose. Also, what OS are you running as well as temperatures. Idle and load. Usually when something like this happens. I would recommend a fresh install of drivers and worst case re-install OS. Especially if you know your hardware is more then up to the task.

Hi, You will need to post a little more info. Like you system specs. If it is a retail computer or You built it your self. If any BSOD you will need to post them to. This will help someone to help you out.

Since you can put all of your system specs into your profile read-out, I didn't really feel like putting it all here, but I'll do it.
CPU: FX 4100

Motherboard: 880GM-USB3 rev. 3.1

GFX: EVGA GT 520

RAM: 4GB

Idle temp: 35-40 degrees C

Power supply: 600 watts

While your GPU isn't the best. It should handle the games you listed. Do a clean install of graphic drivers. Also, what type of temps does your GPU yield when gaming? It could be a issue of your card overheating.

I don't know how to check my GPU heat level, sorry :(. I just played PNatI for about an hour until my computer crashed again. Once it started up again, I checked in the PC Health area of the BIOS to see that the System Heat was 45 C and the CPU heat was 42 C.

Mind you, I play all of this stuff on minimum settings, and yet it still crashes all the time. Most often RoA and PNatI oddly enough.

I shall now do a clean install of graphics drivers.

Download HWmonitor. You can get it HERE
Let us know how your system acts with a fresh set of drivers. Also, report back with GPU temps.

I turned down the rate of my GPU back down from 2000mhz to the standard 560mhz, after I uninstalled every Nvidea thing on the computer and then re installed all of their updates. PNatI just crashed the whole computer with my GPU at a balmy 38 C.
:(
It just crashed again with the GPU temp at 47 C.

The TF2 program just crashed with the GPU temp at 49, so I don't understand at all.

I am considering investing in a much better GPU though at this point.

Hmmmm. So it is definitely not overheating. Do a clean install of windows. If there is still no improvements, then that would lead me to believe that there is something wrong with your card.

I thank you greatly for helping me find the problem. As I seem to have misplaced my Windows 7 install disks, I shall try to RMA my GPU. Hopefully it's still under warrenty, and if not then I'll just save up for the best GPU I can find.

The main deal is isolating the source of the problem, because my inferior laptop has the ability to run these games just fine without crashing, and it only has a dual core Intel. I can't really check the heat on that, since whenever I try to check with that hardware checker thing you told me about, the computer crashes Xp

Back