Why won't my new AMD-FX (series) CPU work?

Gammio

I just got a new CPU, it's an AMD FX 4-core unit. I tried upgrading my motherboard's BIOS (my MB is a GA 880GM-USB3) to the two most recent BIOS, and it just makes my computer not even boot up with the new CPU in it. Even when I try putting in my old CPU, it won't boot up sometimes, so I have to keep swapping out processors until it boots up. Please help!

Dont have a Fx series myself, but as far as I know they should work fine in an am3 motherboard. being backwards compatable (am3 +)

Clear your cmos after installing the new cpu, Reset your bios to optimal/auto, And double check your motherboard supports your cpu.

If that wont work I would RMA it if possible.

Hope this helps :)

Really? I have the rev 3.1, so I', pretty sure that it supports it. The part where you insert the CPU isn't white like in the picture for the rev 1.x.

I refreshed the cmos, and it does start up every time now with the old CPU (thank you!) but I still cant' get the new CPU to work :(

It's not going to support it unless its a different motherboard model that supports AM3+ processors. The best it will run is an AM3 Phenom X6 1100T.

EDIT:

I see what you mean by Rev. 3.1 now. Very odd. It will support upto a FX-8120, but it needs to be running the latest BIOS to do so. If you haven't already, put your old CPU back in, and update the latest available version, then re-install the new FX-series CPU.

Exactly what CPU are you using?

Well, as you've pointed out, the v3.1 should support the CPU. Maybe the key to the problem is as you wrote earlier: "Even when I try putting in my old CPU, it won't boot up sometimes".
Have you checked that the battery is seated/ok?
RAM is ok and seated ?
If the answer is yes to both then it sounds as though the board is flaky. If the board was working perfectly fine before the CPU swap, then the only other option is that the board has been damaged during the swap out. If the CPU is a dud that shouldn't stop the board posting with the old CPU.
I'd check the system with the bare number of components needed for a POST. CPU+cooler, board, RAM, monitor and keyboard -preferably outside of the chassis if the CPU swap out was done under the same conditions.

EDIT: I see you can now get the board to POST using the old CPU. Sounds like RMA time for the board.

So I should return the motherboard or the CPU? Because the old CPU only has like one less pin in it than the new one, and the motherboard has been working fine until now.

Perhaps I'll just check the warrenties and see if I could even return the motherboard. I got it in a "build your own computer" kind of kit off Compusa.com, so I'm not 100% on how those returns work, but thanks a bundle for the info guys :D

but I still cant' get the new CPU to work :(

Greetings Gammio, first off let's try to slow things down here a little bit, relax, take a nice deep breath and I'll see if I can't explain this to you, as several people here have already.

I'm happy for you with buying yourself a new processor, it's always nice when putting a little bit more "hustle behind the muscle" when it comes to processing power. Now as happy as things are about the new processor, we need to face some facts here.

Now I see you've dabbled with trying to go into your BIOS and doing things as so that your processor might work, which is good and will come into play later. Now understand that your motherboards BIOS is the brains of the whole operation, when it comes to what your motherboard can and can not do. Before that new processor of yours can work, we need to school your BIOS a little bit and teach it some things. The only way for this to happen is first, you will need to update your motherboards BIOS. This isn't something that is done by just going into BIOS and throwing some switches or adjusting settings, this is done by going to your motherboards company, the one that built it, you need to go to their web site and look up your motherboard, normally done by selecting it's model number. After your motherboard has been located on the web site, next your going to have to look for it's "support & downloads" section. After your into that section, you will then want to look for things titled "BIOS update" or look for BIOS version numbers that are higher than the one your currently using now. After selecting an option, you will then need to read their instructions on how to best go about installing the BIOS update into your BIOS chip on your motherboard. Most company's now a day's have dropped the need like back in the day, when one had to install BIOS updates via something like a 3.5 inch diskette. Most company's now offer such things like installing BIOS updates directly through Windows. That would be the best option for you to select, that being to install the update by using Windows.

After the update has been downloaded, most of the time company's set this kind of file up to be "auto launching" or at best it will say something like "BIOS update ready for install, click okay to proceed"! If by auto launch of manual selection, once this process starts, it's very important to not disturb it at all. Do nothing on your computer while this file is being installed, no web browsing, no game playing, no typing up a new word document, nothing, wait until the install process has completed all the way. Normally with auto launching BIOS installs the installer when completed will say that in 10 seconds it will restart your computer as to finish the BIOS update install. Or if you go about this manually, after the BIOS update installer finishes, it will ask you to please restart your computer, do so at that time and do nothing else.

After your computer starts it's restart, you can then proceed to go into BIOS, normally via the (F2) button and see if the new update took. Look for version numbers, if the version number is now higher than your original one, than congratulations, the update took. Then proceed to get out of the BIOS, no need to tinker with anything in there now, just back out and let the whole boot up process take place. After Windows fully boots and everything appears normal, then select to power down your computer, turn the whole thing off! After the computer is fully shut off, go behind your computer and remove it's power cord from the power supply, just unplug it and let it rest on the floor.

Next open up you computer case as so to gain access to it's innards, find where the processor is, which by now you already know, but find it and carefully go about removing the old processor from your system and then go about installing the new processor into the host bridge of the motherboard. Once the new processor is properly seated and locked into place on the motherboard, back out, and replace the case cover of your computer. Once the case cover is back on, go behind your computer again and pick up the power cord off the floor and plug it back into the power supply. Then get back in your chair in front of the computer and turn it on! Once your system starts to come to life, when you get to the point that the system is asking you if you would like to go into BIOS, hit (F2) or the appropriate button to do so. Once inside BIOS, that's when you can go about throwing switches and selecting new settings to try and maximize your new processor. Once you feel secure with your new settings, back out of BIOS remembering to hit (F10) to save your new settings upon exit. Now the computer should restart, it then should go past the BIOS screen and then proceed to launch straight into Windows. If you get to this point, your job is done, you have successfully updated your motherboards BIOS and you successfully went about installing your new processor.

Hope this information helps!

Good luck! :)

Zen
Just a couple of points;

Gigabyte BIOS. After (successfully) flashing to a new BIOS version, the first thing the user needs to do is to "Load Optimized Defaults" and save (F10) for the flash procedure to be completed. A major cause of a BIOS flash not "taking" is missing this step (esp with Gigabyte boards but affects Asus, MSI and other top tier vendors as well). Precisely why the info is prominently displayed in the manuals ( Asus manual on the right, Gigabyte on the left)

The second point is more for Gammio. If after BIOS flashing and swap out of the old CPU for the FX, the board cycles more than once before posting, make sure that the new BIOS you've flashed is still in use. Gigabyte boards feature two seperate BIOS IC's. If for some reason the flashed BIOS has an issue with the settings ( default settings should always be in use when swapping out CPU's) or any number of I/O parameters, the board will revert to it's backup BIOS chip (I.e. the old failsafe BIOS stored on the second chip that was current when the board shipped)...and of course the old BIOS doesn't support the FX series.
If the board reverts to the old BIOS, you can force an update by updating the backup BIOS chip to a current version.
Flash the BIOS with your old CPU on board. "Load Optimized Defaults" to complete the BIOS flash procedure.
Reboot, and during the process press "Alt" + "F12" + "Delete" together (you might need to spam the pressing, and need to reboot a couple of times if the BIOS doesn't recognize all the combined keystrokes at the first time of asking)
Once into the BIOS, you will be asked if you want to copy the main BIOS (the one you just updated) to the backup BIOS chip. Just follow the onscreen instructions. Power down the system when completed, wait 30-60 seconds at least before rebooting. Both BIOS's now will (theoretically) be FX series compliant.

Back