Why you should avoid "Free Public Wi-Fi" networks

By Emil
Oct 11, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Have you ever tried connecting to the Internet and a Wi-Fi network titled somewhere along the lines of "Free Public Wi-Fi" caught your eye? If you hang out in airports, libraries, coffee shops, school campuses, or laptop-friendly public places in general, chances are you've seen something of the sort. Failing to get onto the Internet via an actual Wi-Fi hotspot, you may have tried connecting to one of these, and since then you've probably never bothered. It didn't work the first time (which should be enough of a deterrent from trying it again), but you probably never bothered to find out ...

Read the whole story
  2. dustin_ds3000

dustin_ds3000 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,128

3. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,147   +172

Wouldn't most people have SP3 now?
  4. Flannelwarrior

Flannelwarrior Newcomer, in training Posts: 149

If I saw an ad-hoc network like that called "Free Public WiFi" I'd think only that there was a douche sitting somewhere near me preying on people who don't know how to computer.
  5. tengeta

tengeta TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 632

I've noticed those before and ran away the second I noticed they were ad-hoc. I could see less experienced computer users double clicking it out of frustration in not being able to find Wi-Fi though.
  6. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 616

I've never seen this "Free Public WiFi", although if I did, I'd be pretty sure to shut off the WiFi-card card and move to another location. Atleast now I know what to look out for.
  7. Tanstar

Tanstar TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 196   +18

What he said. Why wouldn't you take a free upgrade?
  8. freythman

freythman TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 124   +10

This... is... old news..... This has been around for a couple years.... GIVE ME SOMETHING RELEVANT! RAWR!!!!
  9. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,354   +302

The Windows 7 firewall has three choices for 'type of network': Home, Work & Public.
    While at a hotspot (free or otherwise), be sure to select the Public option and it will configure itself to stop access to your system for all those MS specific ports, eg: 137-139, 445

Users of other systems (XP, Vista) must learn how to configure their specific firewall product to do the same.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.