TechSpot

Why you should avoid "Free Public Wi-Fi" networks

By Emil
Oct 11, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Have you ever tried connecting to the Internet and a Wi-Fi network titled somewhere along the lines of "Free Public Wi-Fi" caught your eye? If you hang out in airports, libraries, coffee shops, school campuses, or laptop-friendly public places in general, chances are you've seen something of the sort. Failing to get onto the Internet via an actual Wi-Fi hotspot, you may have tried connecting to one of these, and since then you've probably never bothered. It didn't work the first time (which should be enough of a deterrent from trying it again), but you probably never bothered to find out ...

Read the whole story

2. dustin_ds3000

dustin_ds3000 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 869   +8

3. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,586   +364

Wouldn't most people have SP3 now?

4. Flannelwarrior

Flannelwarrior TS Rookie Posts: 131

If I saw an ad-hoc network like that called "Free Public WiFi" I'd think only that there was a douche sitting somewhere near me preying on people who don't know how to computer.

5. tengeta

tengeta TS Enthusiast Posts: 612

I've noticed those before and ran away the second I noticed they were ad-hoc. I could see less experienced computer users double clicking it out of frustration in not being able to find Wi-Fi though.

6. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TS Enthusiast Posts: 544

I've never seen this "Free Public WiFi", although if I did, I'd be pretty sure to shut off the WiFi-card card and move to another location. Atleast now I know what to look out for.

7. Tanstar

Tanstar TS Guru Posts: 383   +79

What he said. Why wouldn't you take a free upgrade?

8. freythman

freythman TS Booster Posts: 112   +10

This... is... old news..... This has been around for a couple years.... GIVE ME SOMETHING RELEVANT! RAWR!!!!

9. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,098   +592

The Windows 7 firewall has three choices for 'type of network': Home, Work & Public.
    While at a hotspot (free or otherwise), be sure to select the Public option and it will configure itself to stop access to your system for all those MS specific ports, eg: 137-139, 445

Users of other systems (XP, Vista) must learn how to configure their specific firewall product to do the same.