Wi-Fi Device connecting with network but Internet/shared folders not accessable

i recently got a wireless router(linksys) for my home, it worked fine with compaq laptop (new hence built in wifi) and my desktop. however i had to get TP link wifi device for my ancient sony laptop, i installed the drivers and everything it even shows that its connected to the wireless network. However the network kept disconnecting, so i played around with the settings a little and the internet started working(really slow), however the shared folders were still unaccessible from the sony laptop. Again tweaked the settings and now both internet/sharing does not work. Can any one point in the right direction wether these 2 devices are compatible or the correct settings.

Sony laptop has Windows XP, SP-1
Networking worked fine when i use wired one.

sounds like you're attempting to access files/folders on another system.

First get Internet access running correctly for both systems.

Then set the Workgroup name identically on both systems (see via My Computer)

get to this point and the remainder is in the Print/File Sharing setup ...

follow-up when you have Internet access.

i recently got a wireless router(linksys) for my home, it worked fine with compaq laptop (new hence built in wifi) and my desktop. however i had to get TP link wifi device for my ancient sony laptop, i installed the drivers and everything it even shows that its connected to the wireless network. However the network kept disconnecting, so i played around with the settings a little and the internet started working(really slow), however the shared folders were still unaccessible from the sony laptop. Again tweaked the settings and now both internet/sharing does not work. Can any one point in the right direction wether these 2 devices are compatible or the correct settings.

Sony laptop has Windows XP, SP-1
Networking worked fine when i use wired one.

Put SP2 on that laptop to fix the wireless issues. Lots of improvements since SP1 days. Can you open a dos prompt and type: ipconfig /flushdns ?

Back