TechSpot

Wi-Fi napping could help double battery life on smartphones

By Jos
Jul 4, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Justin Manweiler, a computer science graduate student at Duke University's Pratt School of Engineering, claims to have found a way to dramatically improve battery life of mobile devices with a…

Read the whole story

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,527   +339

3. If you have an Android phone, simply download the FREE app called Power Scheduler. This enables you to set specific times to activate/deactivate some features of your phone. I currently have it configured to have my WiFi turned off after I leave home for work, and also to turn it back on at around the time I get back home from work. I think you can configure settings for WiFi, Bluetooth, Plane Mode, and others. Definitely a must have app.

4. example1013

example1013 TS Enthusiast Posts: 280

Yeah, not even close to the same thing.

5. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,198   +751

But very cool, thanks for sharing! This sounds to me like 'Too good to be true' Most of us probably have wi-fi turned off anyway when we know there's no point to using it, like at work etc.

6. I don't see what's so significant with this... this is already covered in the network layers as packages are being sent and received, the network layer propagates the best route to send the packages to save power and energy... so I guess something sits ontop of that layer to determine if something is being sent or received then just sleeps on inactivity... ???

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.