Wide monitor video card?

We have a standard Dell Dimension 8300 from several years ago. It came with a then-typical ( 4 x 3 ?) flat monitor. The monitor died.

The computer came with an NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 video card, still in the machine.

We are not interested in gaming - just looking at photos, writing letters, keeping books, etc. We do not need a gaming card. We just want a card that will drive these wider screens with squashed vertical size, without making everything distorted. Note: the standard card in the machine will NOT display anything on the new monitors (we have one from another computer) without distortion, at any setting.

Salesman at Costco says we should be able to get a card - "They're all PCI now..." for about $70 or so. That would be a good price for us. But my previous experience with older Dell products is that 'standard' cards don't work, due to Dell oddities.

Without making this a big deal, opening up the box, running software we have no idea about, etc (we are not techies here): Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced video card that will work with the new wide screen monitors AND the Dell Dimension 8300 ?

Thanks.

Re: Wide monitor, vid card wanted

With regard to my post on the Dell Dimension 8300, please note that we have TRIED all the other resolution settings on the NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420, now in the computer. NONE work without significant distortion.

Thanks for any help,

grabboid

Can you give me more information about your computer and the problem. what operating system are you running?

re - 'more info'...

The computer is a Dell Dimension 8300, running Windows XP Pro.

I'm reluctant to run strange software - not a guru here - or to open the box except to install the card - covered in the manual. From looking at similar posts about Dells, I know there are folks out there who are familiar with the 8300 and what it requires - I am not.

I see that this problem is becoming a common gripe. The monitor mfrs have shoved these 'wide' monitors on the market so that folks are forced to buy new computers. Kind of leaves us between a rock and hard place, with the result that we either get a new card or don't have a computer, in this economy.

This is NOT a gaming machine.

Thanks, grabboid

I have had an MX 420 and at first I had it confused with the newer nVidia 400 series cards. I think you will have to go with a PCI card or, if I found the right one online, it has an AGP slot.

I'm going to have to recommend this card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161353
the HD5450 gives good performance, it will game a little, but I am worried about life expectancy. I think you will be able to get another 2-3 years out of this card on your dell. Only thing I'm worried about with this is I am unsure if there are XP drivers for it. That is something I will look into, right now I'm just trying to give you a general idea of what your looking for.

More on Dell Dimension 8300...

OK here's a bit more info -

"Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66 Ghz 512 MB RAM"

Windows XP Pro - Service Pack 2

Hope that this will help. I really am grateful for any comments, I know so little about this.

grabboid

OK here's a bit more info -

"Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66 Ghz 512 MB RAM"

Windows XP Pro - Service Pack 2

Hope that this will help. I really am grateful for any comments, I know so little about this.

grabboid

E-Gads! sure you want to spend $100 on a videocard when $300 could get you a new, faster computer? At somepoint you will have to upgrade.

About newegg, I have been doing business with them for around 4 years now and they have always been good to me. I highly recommend that site.

Back